Supermarkets and Retail

I forgot that people actually still went to cafes/baristas for coffee. I give 7-Eleven good business.

[quote=“CLEW9, post:1007, topic:167”]
I forgot that people actually still went to cafes/baristas for coffee.
[/quote]Do you live under Uluru?

5 Likes

I’m surprised somebody admits they buy their coffee from a convenience store.

No I’m just a narrow-minded millennial I guess :wink:

I don’t know I guess I’d personally be more embarrassed paying four times the price for a product that usually tastes worse anyway. People love to shit on it until they try it. :grin:

I had the misfortune to taste it once and it tasted like what I imagine dirty dishwater would. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Look I understand that people have tight budgets and can’t all afford to drink coffees out but I have one coffee a day and it’s one luxury that I wouldn’t give up.

If I had to pick a budget espresso coffee, I might pick the one from Maccas. That’s been one that wasn’t too bad.

2 Likes

Each to their own I suppose

7-Eleven specifically I find pretty bad and oddly expensive - with the Large size being $3 - hardly a saving worth the worse taste. Coles Express is the better convenience store coffee and only $2 for the large, but you do have to ignore the fact they call it ‘expresso’.

1 Like

Do they also call it a ‘cup of chino’? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s funny because I’ve found it the exact opposite. Coles is a tad cheaper but I find the flavour quite a bit worse.

Maybe I just don’t have an acquired taste :laughing:

Sorry for rambling on

No - forgot to watch ACA this week.

10 Likes

I do all the time. Mostly just for incidental stuff just small purchases a few dollars here and there, and my barber who is probably younger than me but is still a bit old fashioned… cash-only.

Also some of those pesky parking meters still only take coins… likewise the chocolate “honesty box” at work!!

You don’t live in Melbourne do you?

4 Likes

I get no transaction fees on my account otherwise I would probably be forced to pay cash for some of those things.

I switched my accounts over last year and use my card a lot more often now than I ever have. But as @TelevisionAU said, there are way too many places that still only accept cash or slug you with a surcharge for using your card that makes it not worthwhile.

And it’s fine if they have tap and go, but if you have to sit there and select your account, enter your PIN and wait for approval that is bloody annoying too, especially when a queue starts to form of people waiting to pay.

I must say I’ve never seen a surcharge for cars use here in NZ and very few places are cash only, even mobile businesses at events and sports etc.

Telstra and Optus and some utility companies have credit card surcharges in Australia; large companies that you would think would have lower merchant fees from their banks than any small business operator could negotiate.

Lots of especially older people are seen at Australia Post outlets paying their electricity, rates, car registration, telephone and credit card accounts etc with huge amounts of cash. Same at the Telstra shop; lots pay their accounts with cash.

I use to worry about my parents doing that and wandering around between the bank and post office/insurance offices/telstra shop with big amounts of cash on them. So even though they whinged about it at first, I set up some direct debits and pay other bills online for them.

It took a while to convince them that it’s safe to use these methods, but now they’re happy they never need to worry about carrying around huge amounts of cash.

1 Like

About a year ago I was desperate for a coffee and used the machine in a 7-11 store. I was absolutely surprised at how it tasted. It was not bad at all.

I live in Surry Hills in Sydney’s inner city and 7-11’s $1 coffees are always popular with the local crack heads. I even dared my best mate to try one and he agreed that it was pretty good.

The most expensive coffee I know of is at Green Bean in Randwick where an extra large flat white is $5.50. It is so worth it though. Yum.

I am currently in Bali where some entrepreneur has set up “Revolver” coffee. It’s not a chain but a type of coffee available in some coffee shops. I imagine the machines, coffee beans and baristas are trained by Revolver. Good coffee (and that’s hard to come by on this island) but it’s the equivalent of $4.50 for a pretty small cup.

1 Like

Made most news reports this morning

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/amazon-breaks-silence-on-australian-retail-plans/news-story/1ffb99091150d24b2ef35714f1ae82b8

“The next step is to bring a retail offering to Australia, and we are making those plans now. We are excited to bring thousands of new jobs to Australia, millions of dollars in additional investment, and to empower small Australian businesses through Amazon Marketplace.

2 Likes

After lengthy legal negotiations US hardware chain Lowe’s has been ordered to sell its 33% of Masters to Woolworths, after that is completed Woolworths can then sell the Masters sites to the Home Consortium.