Supermarkets and Retail

Two more retailers have gone into financial trouble.

I could easily fix and reposition Target within two years, but wont say what it will include cos that wouldn’t benefit me.

However first things first, fashion - who are they aiming their clothing at - definitely those in regional towns who don’t care much about design especially men.

BIG W can be saved if it simply re-merchandises its offering in store.

We shouldn’t be supporting Amazon at the detriment of local retailers

Casey Donovan has joined Coles’ “Down Down” campaign, filming a new ad in London with Status Quo, two weeks after winning I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here in South Africa.
I also notice lots of free big red hands at the checkout at Coles at The Glen this morning. They may be part of the new campaign too.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to get a free big hand. Imagine what you could do with that. :joy:

2 Likes

Stand on a street corner, waving your big red hand and shouting to passers by “I’m free”?

10 Likes

Again? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The ad is running tonight

[Triggered] WHY WON’T THEY LET THIS AD DIE ALREADY! [/triggered]

Because “saving money is never annoying!”

4 Likes

Last week I saw self serve checkouts at Target in Point Cook. They replaced about half of the original checkouts and looked like a bank of 8 - 10 units.

Must be a very new initiative, all the new format stores prior to Russo taking over were still snubbing self serve.

That’s interesting. Does your target have the airport cue like line? We have at the Morley galleria (but not at the Perth Central Target in the city)…

Wonder if this will be trialled throughout Australia…

David Jones vs Myer

Yes, there is still the existing single queue line. So originally there was a bank of checkouts along the front wall of the store with another row directly opposite. They removed the ones along the wall.

When I was there, there was one customer being served at a traditional checkout and another customer waiting in the queue waiting to be served. I don’t know if it was because the self serves were not operational at the time, or if this customer preferred being served by someone. By having the single queue, if you wanted to use a free self serve you would have to push past everyone else that was waiting to be served. Far removed from having the giant screen that showed you what register number to go to.

I visited SupaBarn in Sans Souci (in Sydney’s southern suburbs) yesterday. What a surprise. A full size supermarket with good fruit, veges and competitive prices on groceries.

At the back of the store they even had an area where a baker made cakes in a stand alone area.

Pity that the two young girls who served me where to busy talking about how they both earned over $400 last week and what they were going to spend it on. It shows you how customer service can detract from the overall shopping experience.

The whole service experience was saved somewhat by the guy in the Supabarn Liquor who was able to serve me with a smile rather than complete indifference.

1 Like

I always liked the Supabarn at Five Dock, but I’d have no reason to go out of my way to go there since it changed to Coles.

It’s a real shame they sold about seven of their stores to Coles recently. Their fruit and veg is always really good and the prices are fairly reasonable.

They still have two full line stores in Canberra which are both very nice. The newest one at Casey is fantastic.

2 Likes

So don’t keep us in suspense. What were they going to spend it on? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’m sure if you also worked in retail, you’d chat to your colleague. A case of bad timing. Sometimes we have double-standards of our own behaviour.

What really matters is if they greet you, understand and answer your questions (knowledgeable) and have their attention focused on you.

You can imagine how many people are rude to them or simply ignore.

I hear what you are saying tv_watcher - and I am by no means a service snob. But these two girls ignored me. No greeting. No thanks. And it goes to show how little things can really impact on your impression of a place.

I was just in Liquorland in Redfern. Mainly Indian Australians working there and they were so nice. I left with a smile and it’s just a little old Liquorland.