Supermarkets and Retail

[quote=“Jack_Laverty, post:8777, topic:167”]
Probably the other part of this is JB HIFI has always sold a lot of CDs and DVDs that are hard to find anywhere else.
[/quote]I find that’s not so much the case these days. I’m sure they’d still order stuff if you asked them to but compared to how it was 10-15 years ago the selection is nowhere near as good.

it seems that as the CD / DVD section has shrunk, the Vinyl section has increased (with prices to match - $85 for a harry styles record or $67 for the reissue of barenaked ladies stunt that came out in 1998?) you can’t tell me they are not making bank on this

The vinyl prices are dumb that’s for certain. The CD section at my local JB is pretty small these days and the selection is pretty uninspiring as well. I remember going to JB stores in the late-00s when the CD section was still pretty impressive especially compared to Sanity who even back then had a pretty meh selection of titles.

Didn’t JB and Sanity attempt to sell MP3s online for a while? back in the day when the new CDs were starting to die off and MP3 was taking over.

i know JB had a streaming service - i once brought something (might have been a TV) and got a free trial. i was already on apple music so i didn’t bother

1 Like

JB had a music streaming service for a while similar to Spotify.

1 Like

Yeah, what’s it called?

JB Hi-Fi Now

1 Like

In 2016 I think I was still signed up to apple music back then the following year I changed to Spotify. I never even contemplated signing up for this.

The DVD and CD section at JB HI FI is certainly shrinking in size year by year (well, it seems like that), which is a shame. Although i am “old style” as i still prefer the physical hard copy, i can totally understand why the section is shrinking.
The vinyl section is getting a little bigger over the years.

CEX stores that are in Westfields in Sydney have plenty of DVD’s though. Although all are second hand, most are in good condition.

1 Like

There’s still a Sanity at Mt Gambier Central, which first opened in the late 90’s, Mt Gambier very briefly had 2 Sanity stores when another opened when Mt Gambier Marketplace first opened in August 2012, but closed down after just 3 months in November 2012, don’t know why they bothered opening a second store to begin with.

BIG W where i am has gotten rid of dvd and cds all together except for new release of dvds

My local Big W has done the same or at least the last couple of times I was in there the DVDs and Blu-Rays had been marked down for clearance.

3 Likes

My local BIGW has also pulled out the photo printing service. I guess that’s another thing going the way of the CDs. The last time I printed photos was probably 10 years ago. They still offer the balloon inflate service which might be next on the chopping block considering the cost of helium has had climbed about 75%. $200 a tank now apparently.

Bit of a misfire with the photo printing I reckon. All that retro stuff is coming back into fashion. I often use Kmart photos to print.

1 Like

Big W will continue to stock Disney and select new-release DVDs. CDs are completely gone.

The in-store Photo Lab will be removed from all stores eventually, but the online service will continue. The department made money and would have continued operating if it wasn’t for the enormous cost of upgrading dated hardware. Customers can still hand in their film for development - which has exploded in popularity over the last year.

We’ve had a helium shortage for at least a few months in our store.

1 Like

Only stuff that was full price at my local in regard to DVD were new releases.

My local one has had the same CDs since late 2020, They really got nothing new for 2021 outside of the new Adele and ABBA releases that were released at the end of the year.

1 Like

The main reason a lot of retailers are phasing them out, a lot of hardware coming to the end of it’s life in the last few years.

1 Like

I can remember Trax, which I think was taken over by Sanity. We’ve lost some good music stores in WA. 78’s in Perth City is gone. Still have Mills and Dada’s though.

2 Likes