Supermarkets and Retail

I was at Chadstone this afternoon and noticed part of the fresh food precinct (right next to the existing Coles) had been boarded up as the redevelopment was well under way. I asked a female staff and she said the newsagency next to the Middle Road entrance was closed for the redevelopment, and would not be replaced. However, she said a new Lotto kiosk would be built elsewhere in the complex.

1 Like

This is true. There was a lot of reduced stock there yesterday, especially sandwiches. I picked up a Salmon Poke Bowl salad for $6.50 reduced from $10. It was actually quite good and haven’t seen this one in a Coles before.

1 Like

I am also finding more markdowns across meat. I assume with the pricing increase people are trading down so I’ve picked up some premium pieces for well less compared to what the normal price was prior. I assume the supermarkets will start buying less perhaps.

I also find the coles bakery much cheaper vs Woolworths. The Woolworths stone baked rye bread is now $7.50, Coles $4. Other rolls and assorted items are actually cheaper too. They have definitely picked up the game in the bakery space lately I have not really been to the local baker at all. Seem to be doing a whole range of premium in house baked breads and rolls which are miles cheaper vs the local baker.

1 Like

I went to Coles Concord just after they finished their renovation into a ‘Local’ and I really didn’t like all the spotlight lighting. Found it a bit hard on my eyes and way too many shadows around. Some of the fridges (especially around the top shelf) were very dark. I had to ask someone if there were meant to be more lights on but she wasn’t sure (it was first thing in the morning just after opening). Haven’t been back to see if it’s any better but it certainly put me off.

2 Likes

Earlwood is also like that. Dark ceiling and bright at floor level. It’s been a trend for a while. A lot of food courts and shopping centres have been doing this in the last decade.

1 Like

True. I just found this particularly bad though :persevere:

1 Like

I get the dark and earthy feel for food courts, but I hate it for supermarkets. It just isn’t the right environment and makes the experience worse, especially for people who wear glasses.

I would say I’m less inclined to go to Coles because of the warmer lighting they use in some of their stores in general. Woolies isn’t innocent, and there are some Coles stores I’ve been to that are better, but my local Woolies is lit well and thus easier to navigate.

2 Likes

Poor Kmart, no one knows their flagship store exists /s

4 Likes

Especially irrelevant to people who… don’t live in Melbourne. Strange story.

1 Like

Those city stores like BIGW in QV also are largely shopped only by city workers, students and tourists. Old mate out in Western Sydney wouldn’t even know about it.

Generally it’s not the first place interstate travellers hit for shopping in Melbourne. Emporium/South Wharf/Myer-DJs area etc is the go to.

1 Like

I noticed here in Hamilton it looks looks like a quick swap over from Caltex to Ampol branding on the Woolies servo signage but no EG branding just the Woolworths and Ampol signage.

1 Like

the same thing happened here in Ballarat. no EG branding ,just Woolworths and Ampol signage

1 Like

Same in Bendigo. Just today walking by it is now a Ampol/Woolworths near Bendigo Marketplace.

Suspect that EG are coming towards a deadline to remove Caltex branding and are doing it on the cheap to get it all done. Will be interesting if they just leave it be now or eventually revisit and rebrand it in full to EG Ampol as they were originally doing.

2 Likes

OTR/Hungry Jacks in Hamilton has the Caltex fuel.

2 Likes

In Yeppoon the Woolworths Caltex , it says EG on the wall of the building but the petrol digital sign still says Caltex Woolworths.

1 Like

You do indeed. The Coles Locals in Qld are a cornucopia of wastage.

Especially enjoy when premium third party stock is on clearance for well less than their own stores. Such as King St Bakery

I suspect Woolworths gave a bit more leeway to EG to remove the big signs off the pylons, hence mostly the cheap rebrands of EG at most locations just replacing the Caltex box with a Ampol branded box.

Some suburbs in regional Qld/NSW removed the big Woolworths sign and replaced it with a big EG one (The one depicted in the picture) alongside the Caltex box replacement with the Ampol branded one.

OTR uses Puma/Chevron (Caltex ‘with Techron’ Premium Fuels) in some interstate locations.

It’s because they swapped the Kmart and Target stores around last year. The old store had the recent fit-out and was much better… the current one is a downgrade.