Supermarkets and Retail

A new Harris Farms market at Lane Cove.

I know at least 3 stores in Western Australia are using it at the moment including my local store

1 Like

Unless they have been very slow with rolling out these to the Westcoast then I would say itā€™s very likely a lot of the stores are just not using them. Pretty much all the stores have these now.

Ive never seen them until this photoā€¦

To be honest, A lot of staff donā€™t even use them, and most managers donā€™t make the staff use them. I know the one at my store just sits on the floor not being used most of the time.

I assume itā€™s due to injuries people get pushing trolleys? Only really seen the young ones pushing them back in, I guess us old folks can now do it with the machine lol

1 Like

Yes, it replaced an earlier model at our local store. There is a steep ramp from the main car park, Iā€™ve only seen it used on the ramp.

This was announced what 4/5 months back?

Front page news at news.com.au

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/big-w-introduces-15-layby-fee-and-people-are-not-happy-about-it/news-story/b38706bd3aae9a661c935e3800b27339

Slow news day at news.com.au?

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it always a slow news day for them

4 Likes

About May-ish, people didnā€™t kick up a stink during Juneā€™s Toy Sale event. Chalk it up to a slow news day as to why thereā€™s publicity about it now.

1 Like

Bet the social media engagement metrics are going gangbusters though.

1 Like

I ordered 5x500g blocks of Mainland cheese because it was on special and ticked the substitution button at Woolworths online .

I only received 1 and was substituted 4 Bega Tasty 500grams instead.

I did put on my notes Iā€™d prefer Mainland . I went instore for a different reason and saw no Mainland at all in the 500g left .

I submitted online via Olive the refund request saying I was unhappy with the substitution not realising until later on in the day when i went in the store they didnā€™t have any mainland.

They have refunded me the $30 ā€¦

Just wondering though generally can you do that with any item you arenā€™t happy with as a substituteā€¦ obviously mine was approved but I donā€™t want to go on some blacklist as last week i did the same thing when they substituted my usual bread with something totally different because they were having issues with bread delivery and they hardly had anything in stock despite me at the time not knowing this . I wanted Helgas wholemeal and substitute as a different type of Helgas but they didnā€™t have any Helgas so gave me Abbotts wholemeal.

I donated the cheese we didnā€™t want to the local Foodbank we have closeby.

2 Likes

I was in Target Cairns and I was surprised in that itā€™s exactly the same layout and shelving as Kmart except Target stock and signage. It felt very strange walking through what felt like a Kmart but a Target. Everything was literally the same.

1 Like

Coles supermarket in Earlwood has been undergoing a major refurbishment. It was seriously needed because it looked like not much had been done to it since it was a Coles New World in the 70s.

Interesting to see that it is being transformed into a Coles Local though. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s because it is smaller than your newer Coles supermarkets these days.

The checkouts have already changed to now be mostly self service and the smaller serviced counters at the service desk. There are only two conveyor belt checkouts. There are new style open fridges at the front of the store but the aisles at the back are very narrow. A much tighter fit now with two trolleys barely making it past each other side by side. Not sure whether this is temporary since the flooring hasnā€™t been replaced yet.

The old butcher/deli/seafood section down one side hasnā€™t been touched yet. I assume these disappear with the full transformation to a Coles Local.

3 Likes

I notice Woolworths at The Glen had begun to stock cold drinks from Asian countries in the open fridges, right behind the self serve checkouts.

1 Like

No weekly specials will hurt this store along with the removal of most ā€˜Coles brandedā€™ products. I remember when being in Brisbane earlier this year and visiting a Coles local, I walked out and went to the Woolworths 5 mins away.

2 Likes

They donā€™t do specials? Woolworths Metro does, although most of their prices are highrr than a regular Woolies, so their specials are higher too.

In Brisbane when I visited the Coles Local, weekly catalogue specials werenā€™t available.

1 Like