Supermarkets and Retail

I was shopping at Coles at The Glen this afternoon, and noticed it had added six more self serve checkouts to the existing ten scanning machines. The small space for the supermarket however meant two assisted checkouts had to go.

I drove past your beloved The Glen yesterday. Itā€™s an interesting design of a building isnā€™t it.

I need to pop in more often, I tend to only pass through The Glen once a month these days. 20 years ago I was there multiple times a week, 10 years ago maybe 3 times or less a week. I still live in Glen Waverley as well throughout all of that time, so my location hasnā€™t changed, but my shopping habits have. I do like the layout, but thereā€™s nothing really there that I need to shop for on a regular basis (I tend to only pop in to pick up something from JB Hifi if other JBā€™s donā€™t have what Iā€™m afterā€¦ or the post office).

I havenā€™t been to Knox in many months (and with the renovations going on, I have no desire to until itā€™s almost complete or 100% finished) and I was having a conversation with my mum the other day saying how I havenā€™t been to Eastland since either early January or late last year. So I need to visit there again sometime soon.

I received this email earlier today from Coles. Seems they finally are in line with Woolies.

Previously they told you to ring a mobile number .

Though, the instructions on my receipt after ordering mention to use the SMS now:

My Coles has done this for a while. Maybe taking time to roll out everywhere.

1 Like

With Woolworths direct to boot you need click the button at least 3-4 mins out as Iā€™ve never had the order delivered to the bay in carpark in under 5 minutes. I even went in once to the front desk to get it. Donā€™t bother anymore, only did it for the bonus points.

Have had the same experience, 15 minutes once as well which was ridiculous.

1 Like

Iā€™m in a small town and when I turn up to the Woolworths carpark they come out within 2mins .

We only have 1 Woolworths and 1 Coles.

For some reason 99 percent of the time Coles will load it into the boot whereas with Woolies itā€™s 50/50 they either seem to drop it off and walk away or say ā€œyou ok with that or do you need helpā€.

According to The Australian, Andrew Forrestā€™s Tattarang group is reportedly in talks to buy David Jones from South Africaā€™s Woolworths.

1 Like

The question remains, what can be done to get it to actually make money? Itā€™s a lemon.

Theyā€™ve returned profits the last two years primarily thabks to covid, I donā€™t see it as a lemon, but does need some tlc to maintain profitability.

I saw a price tag at Drakes for Helgas bread at $6.50 a loaf. Though I donā€™t know if the price tags were correct as it says it is normally $5.90 in the catalogue and on ā€œspecialā€ for $4.10 yet Woolies and Coles says $4.40 now normal price . Perhaps that store charges a bit moreā€¦

I guess it wonā€™t be long before $4.50 to $5 is standard for a loaf of bread. Most bakeries here already charged that.

They will hike bread to $5.50 and then market it as $4.90 ā€˜Price Droppedā€™.

I did see a ad on TV for Chobani on price drop $2.50 down to $2. Rewind a year, it was $1.90 full price.

1 Like

And now that itā€™s a ā€œprice droppedā€ item, good luck ever seeing it go on half price again as it did practically every 4-6 weeks previously.

2 Likes

Geez Chobani pricing is all over the place. I think it was a price dropped to $1.80 at one point or $1.90 then back to $2.50.

Why are they putting things up only to drop them a week later . Testing it on consumersā€¦?

They are doing the same with Robert Timms coffee went up from $8 to $12.50 then a week later down to $10.70.

1 Like

Itā€™s a sneaky way of acting like the prices have been dropped.

2 Likes

Biscoff has had a lot of collaborations recently. I didnā€™t even think these biscuits were that popular in Australia to have so many collabs rolled out. Dont understand why they would be that popular. Thrre are shortbread biscuits on the shelves which taste a lot better.

Less about the popularity of the biscuits and more the popularity of the spread and the use of the biscuit in other desserts / milkshakes, etc that really drove recent interest.

1 Like

Indeed, hasnt it had some TikTok fame of late?