Supermarkets and Retail

Yes.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/romeos-iga-sydney-supermarket-opening-spree-all-part-of-plan-to-rival-coles-and-woolworths/news-story/6201306a9e5f3bd0445a720e65761050

None of the stuff I buy

More free advertising / PR.

1 Like

I will judge these so called price drops, if they can give me a 2 year price history for the said products.

These price drop promo’s will be off the charts in the coming years, as inflation and costs taper off, they will start pulling back prices, all marketed as “price drops”. Simply its just price ups being reverted back.

2 Likes

How times have changed… a heap of separate brands were consolidated under IGA in the late 90s…

Seems to be a common practice. I’ve mentioned a few times this year how Pepsi Max is constantl yoyoing in price. Carton of 30 cans have been at $22 for a few months now. Last week the price jumped again to $33.50. Only a matter of time it drops again and they promote it as part of the Prices Dropped campaign.

How is it free advertising?

You mean ch 9 advertising woolworths?

Coke slab was $38 full price at my local.
I’ve noticed coke slabs rotate each week, one week 24pk on sale, 30pk the week after, and so on.

The special price is really just the normal price.

Cartons and bottles rotate specials each week.

Pepsi/Schweppes I’ve noticed don’t rotate as frequently

It’s like almost always at Woolworths Cadbury chocolate blocks are almost always on special for 3 to 5 dollars. It’s rare that they are full price. Then you walk into IGA and they are always full price at over $6 a block. I find it very annoying when you go to an IGA that their prices are about 10 to 20 per cent more expensive compared to Woolworths and Coles. I don’t understand this.

IGA has thousands of stores across all their brands and would be able to negotiate cheaper rates with wholesalers. On par with Woolworths and Coles.

A full IGA like the local Romeo’s IGA and you buy a box of Shapes for example that is not on special it will likely be more expensive than the big 2. Why? I understand why it would be more expensive at their smaller local grocery stores yes but at a Supa IGA that is a full supermarket there is no reason. Their ads that say they are price matching set items doesn’t go far enough in my view.

I think its due to the smaller overall sales depth, and the convienence factor that many IGA’s have. Generally the smaller format stores, like Woolies Metro etc, have higher prices to offset the higher costs per sqm vs a normal 5000sqm store. Convienence has a price premium attached to it also.

I have never done a full shop at IGA and I would feel very guilty if I did. Higher turnover in Fresh depts at Coles and Wow also, some stuff at IGA seems like its been sitting there for a bit longer.

Also have the franchise factor with IGA. You have Metcash and the Franchisee both chasing the profit. Woolworths and Coles just have one lot of shareholders to try and please.

One shopping habit I have changed throughout the pandemic, I used to purchase Fruit and Veg at the local independent store. Now I just do it all at Woolworths, have not noticed any difference at all, a whole lot cheaper, and I do find just as fresh.

5 Likes

It was our go to at the beginning of the pandemic when things were hard to come by.

I think IGA is interesting. You do have the “dodge” ones, but then I know people who only shop at Ritchies’ renovated fine food stores…

I only ever shop at IGA. Where I live it’s much easier and convenient for me to do so, and I like supporting the owners of the store. I also find it easier to find the products I want quickly and get out the door faster which I personally like.

The prices on the whole (on the items I buy) are not too far off what’s at Coles/Woolworths (some items cost more, some the same, some even less)

Plus, the product range and the types of local products are different from what is at (my nearest) Coles/Woolworths and it find it suits me better.

I worked in big supermarkets for a very long time, and after that experience, I don’t really like setting foot in them anymore.

Myer Frankston to close in January 2023.

It’s the end of a retail era in Frankston and the wider Mornington Peninsula region.

The ASX release mentions three other Myer stores “in close proximity” to the Frankston store: Southland, Chadstone and Fountain Gate. In fact, all three of them are more than 25km from Frankston.

1 Like

Amazed the Cairns store still exists. Not exactly the right target market for what Myer is, located in the city also which skews more tourist vs out at Stockland or Smithfield which are big traders.

2 Likes
1 Like

Everytime I’ve visited it’s always a busy store.

They also renovated and reduced to 1 floor.

Cairns can support a Louis Vuitton, Gucci and other luxury brand stores so I’m sure they can support a Myer!

I see. 1 floor makes sense, was huge when it was two floors made it seem more quiet. Myer should really be no bigger compared to a Kmart or BIGW, generally 6000sqm, similar to Macy’s in the US in terms of size.

I don’t think they have really overhauled new concept layouts like the other department stores have done which is why they stores are so big, you can hold the range yet be half the floor size if they got creative with floor plans. My local has not really changed in 30 years, employ huge corners everywhere.

The Wild Dog Trading & Hardware Store which had the Front Side at Collingwood Street Damaged in Last Years Apollo Bay Shop Fires is Expected to be Rebuild soon.

1 Like