Supermarkets and Retail

There should be a warehouse in Darwin to serve Kmart and Target stores in NT, if it hasn’t been built already.

Do you honestly think a distribution centre is something NT would have or need? They have 2 stores in the NT each. They’d be part of Queensland’s or SA’s or WA’s distribution chain.

5 Likes

That’s not how things work in 2022.

This is just a random question but do Woolworths and Coles have their own warehouses in the NT? Do any major retailers have warehouses there?

Woolworths in my town has deleted a whole bunch of Helga’s breads including wholemeal, rye etc and replaced them with new varieties some more expensive as they are fancier. The Wholemeal Sourdough tastes strange . Coles still has them. I also see a new half loaf which is only slightly cheaper at $3.60 .

Yes i believe Woolworths have their distribution centre behind their store in Nightcliff.

Coles is trialling the removal of single-use plastic bags in the fruit and vegetable section of its supermarkets across the ACT from September 14. During the trial, Coles shoppers will need to bring reusable bags from home or buy reusable mesh bags in store.

3 Likes

Turns out it was because of this last week,they didn’t delete anything:

I think Goodman Fielder also has a bakery here in Melbourne. Is it possible to send some bread north?

1 Like

It’s likely that a lot of stock was lost at the Sydney warehouse. The production output from Goodman Fielder’s other factories will likely be shipped to other states, but might not be enough to meet demand in some areas.

Any Big W I’ve been to had their garden shops converted to party shops a long time ago now. Must do alright too going by the space they seem to have allocated within the limited room of their new Sydney CBD location as per - Supermarkets and Retail - #8533 by JBar

Looked at Google maps/streetview of the only currently listed Sydney location of ‘new’ Caltex at Lane Cove. Street view history shows that this was previously a 7-11 at least as far back as Jan 2008 and was having work done in Feb 2013 - although the only obvious thing I can see changed is the corner price sign was digitised. Anyway fast forward to Dec 2021 and it is in the middle of a rebrand to ‘new’ Caltex - but the sign out the front only has Jack & Co (the shop brand) on the top. Caltex branding on the canopy appears to be there but covered up (I believe ‘old’ Caltex/Ampol still had exclusive rights until 31st Dec 2021). The last streetview update in May 2022 now shows full ‘new’ Caltex branding including on the top of the main corner sign with Jack & Co now halfway down.

edit - looking at another angle from down the road has a couple of more streetview updates which show it in full Caltex livery in March this year. In Nov 2021 7-11 had closed and it was a blank slate.

WA’s first Coles Local is set to open in South Perth in November with work to convert the full size store on Angelo Street currently going on.

ColesLocal first launched in Victoria in 2018 and hosts half the product lines of a regular Coles Supermarket.

Interesting to see how it goes. South Perth has some decent offerings for its high density community with Good Grocer IGA and Preston Street IGA in Como using the convenience angle by providing Ready To Go meals and being open 24/7.

South Perth was a full size store in name only. Had to have been one of the smallest full line Coles nationwide when it was trading.

1 Like

Love visiting this IGA. It’s so classy and the hot food is decent. It stretches the liquor separation laws we have here by trying to combine it with grocery as close as possible.

1 Like

There’s a few Good Grocer IGA’s in Perth. Another group, Naturally Fresh IGA also has a handful of stores.

IGA’s are certainly improving in some areas and providing a real point of difference to Coles and Woolworths now.

1 Like

Although it also reveals a problem with the IGA banner - that the same brand applies for effectively what are dodgy convenience stores that sell expired food but also for extremely high end, full range 24/7 stores.

5 Likes

Which is why there is a distinct move away from the generic IGA branding, ie in Sydney the Romeo’s group used to be made up of IGAs and Supa IGAs but is now made up of Locali and Food Hall stores with the IGA branding secondary to their own (and incidentally they operate by far the nicest supermarkets in the country, nothing else comes close).

Honestly you could also say the same about Coles/Woolworths. There is a huge variation in the quality and range available between different stores.

3 Likes

Is that the same Romeo’s group that owns Foodland stores in Adelaide?

I noticed around 2019 all the small IGAs were renamed Peries IGA in Rockhampton, Yeppoon, Mackay and Killcoy… or did all small IGA’s in Qld have this occur ?

The West Mackay one is open 24 hrs. Ours is 6am to 9pm . Apart from the veges and fruit which is at times much more expensive than Woolies and Coles most of the items in this supermarket are very similar in price to Coles and Woolies which is only 650metres away. Prices of stuff in the isles seem to be either exactly the same or 80c to $1.50 more.