Supermarkets and Retail

Geelong’s Bay City was Westfield Bay City for a period before changing to Westfield Geelong. Seems standard to phase in the name.

1 Like

Yeah I know Westfield Kotara in Newcastle was Garden City until about 2003 or 4

I was in David Jones at Booragoon yesterday and they still call it David Jones Garden City.

The Coles is still called Bay City despite the centre name change long ago (before mid 2016 when I moved over here)

The change is causing a big backlash. Worth noting that as mentioned in this report the centre is not in the suburb of Mt Gravatt but is in Upper Mt G.

1 Like

Looks like they used a shot of Perth’s Garden City in the opening title to that report.

Westfield Whitford City in Perth might be next. Whitford is not officially a suburb, but a title reflecting four suburbs (Padbury, Hillarys, Kallaroo and Craigie). Wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes Westfield Hillarys.

Several other Westfield’s don’t use the name of their suburb, so them acting as if Garden City is the only one makes no sense.
Carousel - Cannington
Whitfords - Hillarys
Tea Tree Plaza - Modbury
Marion - Oaklands Park
etc

I also just found out the name ‘Garden City’ comes from a name of centres owned by David Jones through the 70s. This includes Kotara, Booragoon and this one.

2 Likes

And so it should. Garden City is almost a locality name now. Westfield should backtrack.

3 Likes

This report could almost be mistaken for satire lol

Speaking of the Booragoon name, I hope both the Booragoon and Vicinity Morley Galleria expansions will both take place over the next 12-18 months. Hopefully both places may feature new David Jones stores (Booragoon refurbished).

Garden City is the destination name of bus routes and a council library (there is a separate Mt Gravatt library).

I don’t think David Jones will be opening any new stores. South African parent company Woolworths is trying to offload the business. Department stores are becoming a thing of the past. If stores are not closing, their floor space is being reduced.

It has never made any decent money.

The profit pool in department stores seem to be tied to Kmart and BIGW. Target has scaled back and Myer is very up and down.

Low cost high volume department stores will be the winners for the foreseeable future with the cost of living increasing.

They need to phase out the thin produce ones with compostable or something .

I had a lot of veges and fruit in those bags in my click and collect order.

Yes they are Red Cyclable but still a lot of waste .

1 Like

I Really Pray Woolworths would buy a Few Target Stores and convert them into Big W Stores.

How many Big W stores do you need?

Darwin needs more. Two Big Ws two KMarts and no Targets. Huge sad. Yhey’re often out of stock too. Even more aggregious is the lack of a Myer or David Jones in Darwin. Could be huge.

1 Like

Darwin is relatively a small city. Apparently Myer was going to set up at Casaurina Square in 2017 but pulled out due to financial issues.

There’s also the issue with getting stock from interstate on time due to its distance from other stores and warehouses.

1 Like

The Queen Street Mall turns 40 this week.