Supermarkets and Retail

Gull Gingers in the 90’s.

3 Likes

Yes Morrison Rd with IGA

Can anyone fill the gaps on this chart?

1 Like

Ha, Super7 from Puma is a cheap shot at 7 Eleven. The 7th Street cafe’s have a limited range and are severely over priced.

1 Like

I did read this and wonder what the people working there would know about a site, but then I suppose to some extent a lot of these rebrands and shuffles of ownership of stations might impact the staff quite directly. Would their pay and hours be up in the air while they shift brands - or be forced to pay for new uniforms?

They probably have a good manager that communicates things like refurbs to their team. :wink: In all my jobs I always follow company news about changes and innovation, and I often find myself knowing more about those things than other managers in the group or cluster. It helps when you have an area manager that is also communicative and cascades the right info.

3 Likes

They have already taken a $270m impairment against those 30 stores. I imagine that would be less now considering its been 4 years since that forecast, and lease terms get shorter vs the forecast back then.

I am sure the finance experts on here could elaborate more around what happens if the program is scaled back, they already took a hit in the FY results 4 years ago. Not sure where that money moves to on the balance sheet.

1 Like

They could reverse the impairment if the market has improved - that’s probably unlikely though. Scaling back the closure program will just mean they carry the cost burden longer, although you’re right in that given there has been a significant amount of time past the burden is reducing.

Its possible that exiting these stores was always going to be a long term play anyway - writing their values down was a reflection of this.

1 Like

I would suspect for a large number of them that they determined that exiting the lease early would cost more than running them at a small loss for however many more years the lease is going for.

A lot of rural locations earmarked for closure may have returned to profitability after Target Country shut down.

2 Likes

I have Everyday Rewards Xtra and it seems to offer 10 percent off online but also 10 percent off at the self service checkout in store?

I asked about this and was told it was a mistake and not to accept it again as it could stuff up my account.

I’ve heard others getting this double 10 percent off too.

Petrol-wise IIRC the Rewards Xtra only applies to EG Ampol/EG Caltex/Caltex Woolworths, based on the assumption EG continues to use the Woolworths P.O.S systems.

It doeesn’t apply to Ampol Foodary or Ampol Woolworths Metrogo locations, as they use different P.O.S systems.

1 Like

I went to Big W at Sydney Town Hall a few days after it opened.

The product selection actually wasn’t too bad. The Woolworths supermarket downstairs duplicates a lot of what a typical suburban Big W sells anyway, so only having one small level for the store didn’t seem to be too much of an issue.

1 Like

I think that was the idea though, I sort of got the impression they are prepping it for sale. Gives them 3-5 years post that impairment with the dead weight cut off, and making underlying numbers look good for a future buyer. However it appears the market has changed with Target scaling down, a big push for the business with covid, and the success around the turnaround.

I think this business won’t be sold until mid this decade however, need a few years of sustainable sales and earnings growth, they have never ever really had that aside the bumper Covid sales year. It would appear they have a pretty strong underlying base, need a few years with no Covid distractions to see the full potential this business has. Then likely will be sold off which is the final piece in the Woolworths puzzle offloading its businesses.

1 Like

I drove past the servo this morning and noticed it had reopened.

the old name wasn’t google friendly as it always brought up garden city in perth. perhaps this is the reason

2 Likes

But they changed the name of Garden City to Westfield Booragoon in Perth immediately after Scentre acquired it, presumably for this reason. Strange they’ve changed both now.

1 Like

Are most Westfield names drawn from the local area?

Perhaps that’s the reason for it

Didnt Westfield have three Garden Cities? (Perth, Brisbane and Newcastle?)

It certainly seems like they wanted to standardise the names. A lot of those shopping centres were independent or part of a different group.

Miranda Fair in Sydney was taken over by Westfield and they dropped the Fair so it was just Westfield Miranda.

1 Like