Supermarkets and Retail

What happened to all the Big W’s that were going to close ? 30 or so

I assume they have been put on hold indefinitely for now due to a variety of reasons. Target stores closing around Australia has definitely given them more confidence and has helped a few stores, and while I’m not sure if Big W is in a successful state at the moment, they are definitely doing better now than 5 years ago.

1 Like

Some of the Queensland conversions had a shop interior refurb alongside the Canopy/Sticker Changes, even a few that recently opened only a few years ago, so I’m guessing Chevron must be spending a lot of CapEx on the conversions.

I’ve never been a fan of Puma, especially since they rolled WA’s Gull petroleum brand in the process.

I bet Caltex is glad to bring back the full StarMart livery versus the tacky exposed pine patio style Foodary shop fronts they had to endure towards the end.

This is the 3rd version of Caltex. I can remember the excitement in 1999 when they opened a brand new site on Great Eastern Highway in Midvale in Perth, post Ampol merger. Of course it’s since become Ampol.

Big W Sydney Town Hall 1st Floor

Big W Signage in Woolworths on the Ground Floor

7 Likes

This Big W in Sydney looks like a regional KHub or something. Hopefully they have something like click and collect in there a bit like the KHubs.

Same. I absolutely loved the Gull brand but I’m not sure why. WA owned and a nice logo and colour scheme I guess. Always liked seeing their Burswood site on the way in to the city, the one with an Amcal chemist attached. Puma’s brand is so aggressive in comparison.

They get to market Techron as well. Vortex is now a thing of the past.

Techron is the worldwide branding of Caltex’ Premium Fuel.

If I recall, ‘Vortex’ as a result of the Ampol merger back in the 90s. Since the divestment and divorce from Ampol, Chevron can use Techron in Australia again.

1 Like

Are we seeing the Future of all Big W Stores? Smaller and more Convenient???

1 Like

Ours has done away with photo printing digital and non digital. Apparently you can do it online though via their site somehow,.

1 Like

Yet it looks clean and recent in your photo. Doubt they’d have many issues, if any, if they just kept it, with 99% of the remaining stores rebranded.

I would suggest they had local security issues in those places necessitating a change in practice there.

Vortex is still around at the EG Fuelco still signed as Caltex Woolworths

Should also mention there’s still a Caltex Starshop in Swan View in Perths East still trading under the Ampol licence with Vortex Fuels today, I’ve asked the attendants about the site branding they’ve told me it’s a unique situation where they mentioned the signage has to be different size due to the location and settings of the shop

1 Like

Yeah those unique sites like Swan View would no doubt be the last on the list to get refurbs

There also going to stop all the garden shops as well

I’ ve heard SwanView is becoming independent WA brand, Vibe.

1 Like

I just had a quick look on Maps, is that the one on Morrisons Road with the IGA?

Wouldn’t it be just be swapping out the starmart boxed sign?

Not actually that simple. They got rid of the Starmart boxed signs when they converted to Foodary in most ex-StarMart/StarShop locations, with Foodary incorporated above the door.

The Woolworths logo at co-branded Ampol Metrogo servos is also not boxed.

Gull was established in 1976 with the first service station on Great Northern Highway at Upper Swan.
The original owners sold in the early 2010’s and they became Puma in the late 2010’s when parent company AusFuels was sold.

Another WA independent, Peak has also become Puma. Not sure of their ownership history though.

1 Like

Gull still lives on in New Zealand. They never adopted the early 2000s rebrand and stuck with the retro logo, or at least an incarnation of it. It’s like looking into an alternate universe where Gull continued as a successful fuel chain here.

3 Likes