Supermarkets and Retail

Took over immediately after Sisters Supa IGA closed. Has been there maybe 3, 4 years?

I always thought if one of these indepedent supermarkets decided to run extended hours 6am - Midnight to 24/7 at Lakeside it might have worked, but they always operate the same hours as the other majors, even on weekends.

It was an unusual choice considering a large format FJs exists down the road at Currambine.

2 Likes

Oh i didn’t know Sisters closed. Fits the timeline of me being away from Perth. Interesting.

1 Like

Obviously, they can use it but wasn’t Farmer Jacks an independent brand that was absorbed into IGA when all the independents became IGA stores in the 2000s? My local IGA was a Farmer Jacks before it was rebranded (Previously had been a Rules and a Dewsons)

Was never absorbed or part of the old FAL portfolio of brands. It was affiliated with east coast based Foodworks for several years, but that seems to have ended, and a few locations have bounced around between Foodworks and FJs branding over the last couple decades. If your local has changed between IGA and FJs, it generally means they’ve changed affiliations to or from IGA.

A lot of new FJs branded locations have opened in recent years.

Only seen one when it replaced the Coles at Phoenix Park in Spearwood.

That makes sense then. Always seemed odd they would advertise Farmer Jacks on TV here when they pretty much mostly got replaced by IGA in the 2000s.

Says it closed in 2018

He said the decision to close was not easy and came down to financial reasons.

“The influence of Aldi and the reaction of Coles and Woolworths to Aldi has been a factor,” he said.

“Also the downturn in the WA economy.

“Our business partners really don’t have a competitive model that will allow us to compete.”

1 Like

You can’t really compare Target Country with Big W.

Target Country were mainly the old Fosseys stores, and in a lot of cases the only change from Fosseys was the sign on the door. They didn’t stock the same range as a regular Target - just clothes and some homewares from memory. Harris Scarfe is probably the closest comparison.

K-Hub is a smarter use of those spaces.

I think the only small format Big W is the new one in Sydney Town Hall.

2 Likes

I’m noticing less specials though so hard to stock up on specials when they aren’t putting things on as much . Chobani Yoghurt on special for $2 save 25 cents is hardly a special.

1 Like

After a huge price rise in February, Pepsi Max 30 cans went from $19 to $32 at Woolies and Coles.

A few weeks later they dropped to $22 and have been promoted as “Prices Dropped” or “Down Down” since then.

Now, Pepsi Max 30 has been out of stock at Woolies for two weeks and suddenly, the price has risen again at Coles to $28.

The 2 Litre bottles seem to have changed too - at least in Vic with no bottle deposit they were $2.00 for ages, went to $2.20 earlier in the year and now in the last few weeks shot up to $2.80.

Oddly IGA’s “Price Promise” at my local is still at the $2.20 pricing, but I assume not for long.

You just get the sense they’ve decided everyone will blame “inflation” and deciding to take a price bump while they’d hide in the crowd.

3 Likes

The Big W above the flagship Sydney Town Hall Woolworths is now open. Looks schmick. Strangely it’s only across one floor. The escalators to the level above have a hoarding around them. I wonder if the old cafeteria is still being redeveloped or whether they are just going to use that floor for more storage?

One really bad thing is a giant video wall which they have installed in front of the escalators which gives off so much heat. :fire: Such a bad idea having that near food. I could feel that heat from three aisles away. In summer it’s going to turn that supermarket into a sauna.

1 Like

Can’t recall where I read it but someone messaged Big Dubs about the upper level and the response was it was going to be used for storage.

1 Like

I rang Big W who has informed me in Yeppoon Qld they have ceased direct to boot as it was deemed “unsafe” the area to pick it up. It also isn’t available anymore in North Rockhampton or Gladstone when you choose options . Seems odd it was running for so long if it has now been deemed unsafe .

It’s got a fair bit of stock on the one floor. They’ve certainly utilised the space better than the old Woolworths had. A lot of staff in there today. More staff than customers. :slight_smile: Seemed to be some training going on around the cash registers.

Puma Energy Murdoch and Byford have been converted to Caltex here in Perth

What I’ve noticed is that the whole site shuts down for a month to do the conversion. I think there’s a lot more to do with the Puma to Caltex conversion unlike the Caltex to Ampol conversion.

Murdoch Conversion below

10 Likes

Most Ampol conversions are just a repaint and canopy badge replacements, pump sticker replacements and replacement of the store paneling to Foodary livery, except in some cases where those stores are earmarked to be converted to a Woolworths Metrogo, which in those cases requires closing the store for a month or two for interior refurbishment, whilst putting a demountable nearby as the shop.

Looks like most of the old Puma Super 7 / 7th Street Cafe shops are going to get a full refurb, even if they’re not that old in the first place. Forecourt / Canopy renovations seem basic.

They’ve gone all out with these. New canopy lighting, bulky bollards and toppers, complete facelift of the shopfront. I reckon they’ll eventually tone down the design as the rollout progresses though, especially if they’re needing a month to convert sites. Something that doesn’t need much more than a sign change and paint job over the Puma colours.