Supermarkets and Retail

But dont Aldi modtli have home brand products and not as many known brand products that Coles and Woolworths have.

The Tesco Price Match indicated is generally, although not exclusively matching Tesco’s house brand to Aldi’s house brand price.

1 Like

It’s the fruit, vegetables and branded products that Tesco have also price matched. For example, Colgate and Coke (as shown in the link).

I have never bought a product from Aldi. I can’t stand the queue at the checkout and the lack of choice. I appreciate the competition they have bought to the supermarket sector in Australia, but their business model is not for me.

I stand corrected Squee. You are right.

This is a complete list of the price matched groceries and most are for non branded products.

1 Like

Woolworths will have Fix-ems as collectibles. Nine News also reported that Coles will have Harry Potter collectibles.

2 Likes

Arent most of the generic branded products in both Woolworths and Coles mostly similarly priced as Aldi anyway? Why do they need to advertise that fact? Why now?

I agree that the generic prices are similar, but maybe that’s not what the market thinks.

The perception amongst Aldi fans is that not only are the generic items cheaper, but they’re universally better quality than the equivalent generic items at Coles or Woolworths.

Wouldn’t hurt to give such marketing a shot considering the inflationary times we’re in right now.

What’s happening with the Site in Murray Street Colac that was Once Mitre 10 & Beaumont Tiles?

Everytime i do an order at Coles the automatically start packing it in my car.

At Woolies they always ask “do you need a hand with that”.

Something interesting I saw today is a former Caltex branded site near Hobart is now Tas Petroleum

8 Likes

It looks like they just took off the top Caltex part of the pylon and replaced the Starmart/Starshop/Foodary part with their own logo :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

What it looked like in 2019

2 Likes

Was likely an independent Caltex/Ampol supplier that decided to not proceed with the Ampol rebrand and do their own thing instead once the deadline was reached.

5 Likes

I dunno what the reason is, but a former Caltex (which used to have a Star shop, not a Woolworths one) just as you enter Geelong is now a Metro Petroleum - it’s right next to a jumbo new United site so maybe Ampol just figured they may as well get out of that site than need to compete on price?

I do find it an odd time for there to be so much competition for owning petrol stations, the industry will need a massive reshaping over the coming decades, I can see a lot of operators going under by not being able to put that capital investment into charging infrastructure.

2 Likes

I doubt it as you can see the crane loops at the very top.

2 Likes

Yeah, my bad

1 Like

I dont think we’ll see service stations into EV charging in a big way until the speed of charging drops dramatically - while a number of the fuel companies have said they want to get into the EV game, its hard to see they’ll do so in any location outside of ones of strategic importance (large sites on major thoroughfares like highways)

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned:
Everyday extra on everyday rewards by Woolworths. It’s a subscription program for everyday rewards members. For $7.99 a month or $59 a year you get 10% off once a month at Woolies or Big W plus 3 times rewards points per shop and more points boosters and offers.

It’s good for regular woolies shoppers. I shop there weekly and spend $150 roughly per week so the subsection more than pays for itself. I pretty much stick to woolies as I am constantly on the search for Qantas points. I supplement my shop there with aldi.

I refuse to shop at coles. I hate that company and their branding is tacky.

1 Like

I didn’t know that was live as a Yahoo article I read said it was still being tested.

Edit : Seems it is but is open for a limited amount of members.

Interesting pricing same as Amazon $59 a year.

https://www.woolworthsrewards.com.au/extra.html

10 percent off every month

So say that’s on average $10 a month based on a $100 x 12 that’s $120 already. Minus the $59 though guess you still are ahead.

2 Likes