Supermarkets and Retail

Looks like it takes a photo of it from underneath, then processes that. I guess my yellow bananas lines up with the lemon guess. Clever tech.

By the way, does Aldi have self serve registers across all stores yet?

This new Harvey Norman is on the east side in Leopold (start of the Bellarine Peninsula)

From Chevron/Caltex Australia’s facebook. The Puma Albion and ‘new’ Caltex Albion comparison picture.

3 Likes

Simple, clean conversion - will be interesting to see how long they take to do the whole network and where they focus.

So Australia has Mobil, Caltex , BP and Ampol have i missed any.

Shell?

1 Like

United as well.

2 Likes

In recent weeks I have noticed at many Woolworths supermarkets that most of the bread/rolls that used to be baked on site are no longer. They are baked at some central location, “frozen from fresh” and then thawed on site. The packaging label is also printed on the plastic packaging, rather than a printed sticky label put on the bag when baked on site. The only bread item cooked on site were some other Turkish bread that was par baked and then finished in

Add that to the price rise (was $2, now $2.50) and I don’t think I will be buying these if I can help it. The Coles bread rolls are now also $2.50, but for the moment still appear to be baked on site.

4 Likes

In general that just means staffing issues - my local Woolworths bounces between those and in store bread, often having an in between of a limited line of baked in store stuff and some of that.

2 Likes

I was driving to buy lunch this afternoon when I noticed temporary fences had gone up at the Ampol service station at Springvale Road, opposite Glen Waverley shopping precinct. It was only rebranded from Caltex a few months ago. I wonder if the servo is being renovated or demolished?

1 Like

They may be replacing the fuel tanks in the ground perhaps?

I was talking with someone who’s been working on the Caltex → Ampol conversions recently - they were saying the major limiting factor at the moment has been the need to get planning approval for the conversions (despite most being substantially like-for-like conversions). Once they get the approvals, the signage contractor acts fairly quickly.

I wouldnt be surprised if the conversion of Puma → Caltex is staggered so the Ampol conversions are completed in an area first

1 Like

Interesting on the browser they mention re stock dates now:

Interesting that a lettuce is $5.50 not $10 Central Qld … haven’t seen it at $10 at Woolies but it was $11.99 at IGA.

Yep it isn’t just lettuce

Maybe I wasn’t the only one always live chatting them asking when certain products were coming in that i bought…

Inghams Turkey for example it has those dates too :… must be everything out of stock now has a date.

Edit : Turns out I had not logged in so that wasn’t my store but must be a feature for certain areas … my area just says out of stock no date mentioned.

1 Like
1 Like

Woolworths is doing a ‘price freeze’ on the below items for the remainder of the year. However I did note some of these items went up last week.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productgroup/160622-low-price-freeze?pageNumber=2

2 Likes

That’s a smart marketing idea at a time of higher inflation.

Even though most of the products are home brand - it may still cut through to customers who are feeling the 5% rate of inflation…….

Woolworths supermarket in Sydney’s Double Bay is turning unsold bread into garlic bread.

I notice that Tesco in the UK is promoting their “Aldi Price Match” on a range of products.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/zone/aldi-price-match?icid=dchp_trial_ss3

Could Woolworths or Coles do the same here? It would be a powerful statement that would annoy the heck out of Aldi. Tesco are clever. They don’t match every price, but a range of prices.

On a side note, bananas at 78p a kilo is a pretty good deal, especially considering they would all be imported.