Supermarkets and Retail

The one I visited in London a while ago was big like an H&M store but had crowded racks and limited space between them. Very long queues at the cash registers too. They had some stuff that looked good but mostly stuff that looked cheap, like you would find here in K Mart, Big W or Target.

All of the Myers I’ve been in were open-plan, no walls.

Kinda of the point. In the U.S. Marshalls and Ross do the same sort of thing, discount items from brand names. I always found some decent items in them.

I have never been to Trade Secret so I wonder what are sold there. Is it like The Reject Shop but with a large space?

Myer’s head store in Melbourne CBD (both Bourke Street and Lonsdale Street before the renovation and sell off of Lonsdale Street portion which became Emporium) had walls separating departments. However Myer stores in suburban shopping malls are open plan.

1 Like

The one I have seen in Sydney was in a former Myer department store and had leftover stock from Myer stores (after their sales) along with some stuff brought in especially for that store like cheaper brand undies and socks such as Bonds.

I’d say it’s probably most like Harris Scarfe. It’s mainly clothing but also has a small selection of homewares (much smaller selection than HS though)

It’s essentially a clearance outlet but also has some stuff at standard prices.

Photo: The Lifestyle Blog

1 Like

Probably wont work in Australia. I hope not. Our two major department stores need to lift their game in terms of customer focus (improving and refurbishing store layouts) and expanding their brands. David Jones should get rid of its private label and return to the “house of brands” strategy. Just because its in a department store, doesnt mean customers will buy your own private label - H&M + ZARA already have that covered.

That pic looks like a Target.

We used to have Waltons in Sydney which was like a slightly downmarket Myer. It was the place you’d go to for brands at cheaper prices.

I remember the Waltons at Caringbah and Rockdale. They were quite dumpy but sold branded goods and clothes.

Rockdale Plaza in Sydney’s southern suburbs opened in 1997. It replaced Rockdale Shopping Centre. The original centre featured three main stores - Waltons, Flemings and a Franklins. Ahhhh, the memories.

The new plaza has a Maccas, Woolies, Aldi and Big W

The Canberra Outlet Centre has Trade Secret and Harris Scarfe. HS is good, TS has mostly odd clothing. The shoe section is particularly tragic - they don’t have a range of sizes for a particular style just random pairs of shoes. My experience is they are nothing like each other.

This?

3 Likes

The Olden Days before the high rises were built. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Waltons was up the front there along Princes Highway.

The big pin, just in shot, reminded me that there was a bowling alley there too.

1 Like

Bunnings taken to court in NZ over slogans like “lowest prices guaranteed”.

The company is facing 45 charges of misleading customers with advertising campaigns that are strikingly similar to those found in Australia, including the ubiquitous slogan: “Lowest prices are just the beginning …”

The Commerce Commission will allege that Bunnings misled shoppers by claiming the have the lowest prices, even though its products were not necessarily the cheapest on the market. Each of the charges carries a maximum penalty of $NZ600,000.

Advertising claims made in New Zealand included: “Bunnings has the lowest price on everything you need”; “Everything is at the lowest price guaranteed”; and “We’ve got the widest range and the lowest prices.”

It’s been documented several time by Choice that the claims are useless from a consumer stand point because the models sold of many of the products are exclusive to Bunnings.

1 Like

Noticed that every Bunnings has recently, very quickly painted/added “our policy” next to its slogan on the exterior of every location I’ve seen. Will be interesting to see if they get done in NZ for misleading advertising.

2 Likes

Isn’t that basically how Bunnings does things? By tricking people into buying a product which is only ever-so-slightly different from ones sold elsewhere (same brand, just a different model).

Pretty sketchy but probably technically legal.

Bunnings say a couple of things about prices. Firstly, that they will beat competitors’ prices by 10% on the same stocked item; this is the one that is usually worthless because much of what they sell cannot be purchased anywhere else. The other is they have a number of slogans that include the phrase “lowest prices” e.g. “Everything under the sun at the lowest prices”. (just enter “Bunnings catalogue” into Google); that seems to be what NZ are going after.

It seems that Bunnings are now saying that “our policy is to have the lowest prices” - rather than necessarily having them :thinking:

news.com.au giving it to Gympie painting it as a sort of 1980s museum town as a new video store just opened, and it still has a dine-in Pizza Hut and an ice rink.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/allyoucaneat-pizza-a-video-store-and-a-roller-skating-rink-the-town-where-the-80s-and-90s-live-on/news-story/063280e669b6878459dd38b7a2cb9d07

There are still a few ice rinks around, and plenty of dine-in pizza restaurants in Australia.

1 Like

clickbait as fuck.
also reaching a little far to consider ice skating rinks an 80s thing?

7 Likes

Aldi SÜD, one half of the two parent companies of Aldi the other being Aldi Nord, and which operates Aldi operations in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Ireland, Slovenia, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States and Australia, unveiled a new revised corporate logo on March 2nd, which will roll out across stores (worldwide I’d imagine) in June, with it already in use in China. It’s the first revision since 2006:

Not sure if we’ll expect Signage changes especially in Perth seeing how it just opened here and would be pointless to change perfectly working signage, but I wonder if we’ll start to see the new logo on products soon.

3 Likes

Yes. Pretty sure it’s Roller Skating that was an 80s thing.

1 Like