Supermarkets and Retail

Target has many issues - the stores aren’t fitted out nicely anymore - Guy Russo has cheapened the store with big massive $ signs + lowered the shelves with horrible dump bins and more “essentials range”

Target needs to stop pandering to that 2.2% of the population in its stances and be relevant again.

Become a fashion retailer with quality homewares.

Their electrical section is an embarrassment.

4 Likes

Could cause quite a shake up of retail in Australia

Amazon may be coming to Australia, so what does that mean for you?

1 Like

Amazon aren’t coming any time soon, just like they weren’t the last 20 articles saying it’s right around the corner and the death of all other retailers is imminent.

2 Likes

I know they have warehouses opening in Sydney as a friend went for a position there.

Seems like the go to for a slow news day recently. Feels like you see one every week.

The concept fitouts were fantastic (In WA, they existed in Cockburn Central & Joondalup) - very upmarket looking with an in-store cafe, enormous food range and great layout/fixtures. Sadly, as soon as Russo took over this was all abandoned and they seem to be going with the strategy of cloning K-Mart (which won’t work, consumers aren’t that silly) instead. Much like Big W, the rest of the store network is very tired looking and dated. Many stores haven’t changed much, if at all in 25 years.[quote=“tv_watcher, post:806, topic:167”]
Their electrical section is an embarrassment.
[/quote]
Can’t see electrical surviving at Big W or Target for much longer - apart from private label junk there is no margin in it (and the potential for negative margin if they don’t move stock fast enough) and it would have a very poor profit return for the amount of space dedicated to the area in both stores.

Gee that didn’t last long. The new format Target only opened at Cockburn and Ocean Keys in late 2014 with Joondalup renovating about a year or so ago.

Target is better off competing with Harris Scarfe rather than lowering to Kmart and Big W’s level.

1 Like

Something like that.

I saw recently at a European shopping centre that Zara sometimes splits itself into a few different stores, despite occupying adjacent shops. So they have a “Zara Men”, “Zara Women”, and a “Zara Home” store nearby to where I am. I guess they must own the whole space and consciously divided it into separate stores.

Maybe Target could take inspiration from that? Revamp their clothing lines along the lines of H&M, Zara and Pull&Bear and split fashion/clothing into their own shops, and then have homeware and the like on the other side of the same space in “Target Home”.

The smaller format Target Country stores I’ve seen are always busy, so maybe they are profitable, just guessing?? They seem to be where there is not much competition.

I feel they would have shuttered or sold off the Target Country store format by now if it didn’t perform well - It’s been a long long time since Fossey’s was converted to Target Country.

2 Likes

There’s a separate Zara Home in Sydney in Pitt Street Mall. The main Zara shop in Centrepoint has the “Zara Man” on a separate floor to “Zara Woman”.

There was a Target Country at Claremont in Perth until the mid 2000’s when it was demolished to make way for Claremont Quarter. I always thought it was strange having what is a predominantly regional chain in the metropolitan area.

There was a Target Country at Ingleburn in Sydney’s south west (between Liverpool & Campbelltown), which was converted from Fosseys. When that store moved to the neighbouring suburb of Macquarie Fields in 2013, it simply became Target.

1 Like

IMO Target should be progressively shut down and replaced with a new fast fashion concept to better compete with the brands that now occupy the space that Target was in 10-20 years ago.

There is a huge opportunity for somebody to create an Aussie take on Zara/H&M/Topshop/UNIQLO.

Cotton On is what you’re thinking. Haven’t quite filled that void though.

We already have Best and Less. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So I take it Mike Baird (former NSW Premier and now new NAB Chief Customer Officer) will still be based in Sydney?

US retail giant TJK is coming to Australia. TJK will convert all 35 existing Trade Secret stores (which it bought from Gazal Corporation for $80 million in July 15) to TK Maxx from April 2017, with a handful of new locations also planned for opening throughout the year.

TJK has more than 1000 stores in the US plus more than 500 in Britain, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria, and the Netherlands.
Channel Seven reports TJK will open a TK Maxx store at Moorabbin Airport in Melbourne’s south east before expanding to the rest of the country.

1 Like

Trade Secret are rubbish stores, they really do mostly sell leftover goods that other stores couldn’t sell. A total overhaul is long overdue.

I do wonder if Australian’s will “get” the endless clearance rack style shopping that TJK offer. Definitely a gap in the market for it and I don’t believe the concept has been tried in Australia before.

““We don’t have walls between our departments, so we can easily expand or contract categories to respond to the newest trends or latest deliveries in our stores.”

Aside from maybe Myer and DJ’s, I can’t think of many stores in Aus that do seperate departments with walls.

I occasionally have a look in Trade Secret and can usually find a couple of decent items in amongst all the crap. Will be interested to see how the rebrand goes.