Supermarkets and Retail

Which was also a 50s and 60s with roller skating waitresses and roller derby.

Interesting, when I was in Germany, all the stores in my local area were branded as “Aldi Süd” rather than just Aldi. Never would I have guessed that there were two separate companies.

Anyways, new logo is hideous. Much prefer the 2006 one anyways.

Roll on Lidl.

2 Likes

I’d imagine they’ll be a Süd variant of the logo too for other markets. I didn’t know Aldi was two seperate companies either! There’s also an Austrian arm of Aldi called Hofer!

They (though can’t remember if Sud or Nord does) also own the quite well known Trader Joes brand in the US.

The Wiki has a breakdown of who owns what.

Aldi Süd owns “Aldi US” while Aldi Nord owns “Trader Joes”.

1 Like

I think that may be Nord according to the Wikipedia article. Speaking of Nord, they haven’t announced a new logo yet, but I’d imagine they will in the future to remain consistent. And with a new logo, I wonder if we’ll start to see new branding elements as well, as the font they use in advertisements is from their current soon to be old logo.

The new logo itself, I don’t mind it too much, I like how they cleaned up the thickness of the line borders, but the updated “A” logo looks quite thick, maybe a little too much, but the updated colours and slight gradients makes it look a bit more modern. The increased feeling of depth is a nice touch too. :+1:

[quote=“Biscuit45, post:852, topic:167”]
The new logo itself, I don’t mind it too much, I like how they cleaned up the thickness of the line borders[/quote]
Maybe they should get rid of the borders completely.

It’s an alright logo, the Bathurst store is currently extending/renovating, so I expect that store will get new signage

I wish Lidl would open in Australia, there is enough room.

Why? More homebrand rubbish?

2 Likes

Actually the quality was fairly good and while I dont shop at Aldi, Lidl was far superior in terms of value & quality.

Their logo tho :nauseated_face:

I do hope Lidl do open in Australia. They would benefit Australia in the same way that Adli has over the past 15 years.

By keeping the trash out of Coles and Woolworths.

2 Likes

I thought an elitist like you would only shop at Thomas Dux and Simon Johnson. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are still ALDI stores around with the older logo. I suspect you’ll see the logo updated only with renovations and new stores.

16 Likes

The current ALDI logo in Perth didn’t last long! Since all their signage is all still new, wonder if they be the last to update it.

1 Like

That’s what I’m wondering as well, it would be pointless to change perfectly good signage, but imagine we’ll see it in other forms in the future.

I still can’t believe that for 15 years since Aldi opened on the east coast, before it moved to WA, I never heard once the fact they sell pathetic rip-off home brand products that are more expensive than Coles and Woolworths home brands anyway.

I hate being in there. Feels like a store for loser, bogan, country-NSW and Qld mothers that think they’re geting a bargain rifling through their “special buy/clearance trays”.

1 Like

So you don’t get the Aldi Kaleslaw that is sourced from exactly the same manufacturer as the home brand Kaleslaw at Coles and Woolworths? Then again, I can’t see you eating Kaleslaw!