Supermarkets and Retail

[quote=“mubd, post:623, topic:167, full:true”]
Kmart shoes are made of some sort of paper-like material and the sole is often just a hunk of vinyl matting. I don’t understand how people can buy those things - they’re uncomfortable as hell and wear out after 2 months.
[/quote]Probably because they’re cheap? Like many things these days, regardless of quality (or lack of) people will buy them.

1 Like

Kids and teenagers are probably the most common people who get these shoes. No point buying them expensive shoes as they will wreck them and not take care of them anyway. So if you are going to be replacing their shoes a couple times a year might as well stick to the cheap ones. I have to admit I did buy a pair of Big W shoes recently. Only cos I got to work and my other shoes were falling apart. So I grabbed a pair until I was able to buy a better pair.

The only footwear I’d consider buying from these stores would be thongs. Always buy my runners either from a sports shop or online (next purchase will be in January, Asics brand of choice), and work provides my work boots.

1 Like

I have just discovered Hush Puppies. I bought three pairs of shoes from their Miranda store today. 30% off and great quality.

On another note - why does Westfield dislike the local names for its shopping centres? Miranda Fair is now Westfield Miranda. Centrepoint is Westfield Sydney. Bondi Junction Plaza is Westfield Bondi.

None of my friends ever say “let’s go to Westfield Miranda”. They say “let’s go to Miranda Fair”. I am pretty sure that most people would also refer to Westfield Sydney as Centrepoint or the Pitt St Mall.

Bay City Geelong became Westfield Bay City, and now Westfield Geelong. It’s called branding.

3 Likes

They must be really old. Nobody under 50 has used that term in decades or ever. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Quite sure it was called Miranda Fair before being taken over by Westfield and it’s a rather old-fashioned name don’t you think? Like from centuries past. :laughing:

[quote=“nickatnights, post:627, topic:167”]
I am pretty sure that most people would also refer to Westfield Sydney as Centrepoint or the Pitt St Mall.[/quote]
On this one I agree though. They already had a Westfield Sydney under Myer and it’s rather silly calling Centrepoint the same name. If anything they should call it Westfield Centrepoint.

1 Like

Are these just recent changes? Because the name has existed forever in Melbourne: Westfield (Shoppingtown) Doncaster has been referred to by that for years. Likewise Westfield Airport West.

I remember the ancient slogan “Have a Good Day, Westfield Shopping”

They are not recent changes, happened decades ago.

The Westfield Sydney branding replaced Centrepoint in the last four years when the centre was reopened and expanded.

The Miranda Fair logo (the star) was taken off the shopping centre when the office tower was demolished in the redevelopment of 2013.

Here in Melbourne, Knox City became Westfield Knox after Westfield bought the complex from AMP in 2012, however many people still call it Knox City. The bus interchange is still listed as Knox City.

1 Like

Knox City Westfield now Westfield Knox
Bay City Westfield now Westfield Geelong
Miranda Fair now Westfield Miranda
Centrepoint Westfield now Westfield Sydney

And whilst you can’t “own” Miranda or Geelong as a brand, you could register Centrepoint or Miranda Fair.

I am not sure who owns the Centrepoint name. I know the tower (tallest structure in Sydney) is officially Sydney Tower but everyone calls it Centrepoint.

“Shop at the heart - at Centrepoint - the heart of the city”

Only four years? Seems a lot longer!

The upmarket food court at Westfield Sydney is great … unlike the rundown overpriced buffet in the Tower which is a total ripoff.

1 Like

In Melbourne, Bayside Shopping Centre in Frankston (the largest shopping centee on the Mornington Peninsula) in recent weeks changed all branding/logos to the generic ‘Vicinity Centres’ logo with just “Bayside” underneath.

It was previously a sister with Chadstone, both owned/founded by John Gandal.

Also, has Masters closed now?

The “Fair” was dropped a long time before that though. It has been Westfield Miranda since at least 1992 when the first big redevelopment and expansion happened.

I would love to see photos of the old Centrepoint Food Court. It was like eating in an overcrowded tiled bunker.

1 Like

Yep, Masters stores closed for good last Sunday week (December 11) as did the website. I think the Masters domain is up for grabs.

A consortium that includes Spotlight and Chemist Warehouse.

1 Like

There’s one exception to these renaming efforts - Warringah Mall has kept its old name (Westfield Warringah Mall) after it was sold by AMP to Westfield. I guess “Westfield Brookvale” wouldn’t have had the same impact…

A disgrace!

1 Like

They must be massive Chemist Warehouse stores if they are taking up those warehouses.

Parts of the buildings will sublet, it won’t be a massive Chemist Warehouse