Supermarkets and Retail

More like a relief. That office tower was dilapidated and a fire trap. Good riddance to bad rubbish. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s Easter at Woolworths, from a friend of a friend on Facebook

1 Like

Saw a report about hot cross buns going on sale at Woolworths on The Age website just then.

1 Like

Our Coles and Woolies sell hot cross buns year round.

1 Like

All types, or just the fruit ones? I’ve seen some places that sell the fruit style ones, but without the plus sign on them.

1 Like

Happens every year after Christmas. Not sure why it’s still news.

3 Likes

I agree.

Hot Cross Buns have been sold in the supermarkets after Christmas every year for ages now. Obviously people buy them, otherwise Coles & Woolworths wouldn’t do them so early…

2 Likes

I don’t get it either. I remember seeing them in supermarkets from Boxing Day years ago. But then people forget and then next Boxing Day comes around and the outrage bus starts off again…

And if it bothers people so much, then just don’t buy them…simples.

5 Likes

It simply makes news because of what time of the year it is. The news outlets will report on anything (no matter how trivial) during the Christmas/New Year’s period.

Still doesn’t excuse how ridiculous it is though…

1 Like

Woolworths to sell 527 petrol stations to BP for $1.785 billion

Woolworths will broaden its loyalty program and roll out up to 200 new Metro convenience stores under a $1.8 billion deal to sell its petrol station network to oil giant BP.
Under the terms of an agreement between the two parties, Woolworths and BP will also develop a new “Metro at BP” store format based on Woolworths’ small-store Metro format.
BP and Woolworths will jointly fund the continuation of the retailer’s 4¢ a litre fuel discount offer, which will continue to be offered at the 527 Woolworths petrol stations, as well as some additional BP outlets.
BP will also join Woolworths’ loyalty program, called Woolworths Rewards, which is anchored by Qantas frequent flyer points.

Note the deal is subject to approval by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the Foreign Investment Review Board.
The deal means BP will leave Velocity Rewards program, leaving Virgin Australia without a major petrol outlet to earn frequent flyer points directly. Virgin is a partner of Flybuys program, but first you have to earn Flybuys points at Coles Express/Shell outlets, then exchange them to Velocity points.

I struggle to see how this will work. A market like South Australia is already saturated with BP servos via OTR and AMPM. In fact near my house is an OTR BP as well as a AMPM BP and a Caltex Woolworths. So this will mean that I won’t have a Caltex near my house should this deal proceed.

The Caltex servos, is there currently Caltex, Caltex-Woolworths (owned by Caltex), and Woolworths-Caltex (owned by Woolworths)??

I believe it’s just Caltex and Caltex-Woolworths (owned by Caltex and Woolworths).

2 Likes

I am sure the SA concentration will be part of the ACCC probe in to the BP-Woolwoths deal.

Yep, that’s how it is right now. This deal only affects Woolworths Caltex (owned by Woolworths). The Caltex-owned co-branded Caltex Woolworths’ aren’t included, but will most likely remove Woolworths branding.

2 Likes

I wonder if they will turn into Starmarts?

They already have. Woolworths renewed their co-branding arrangement a year or so ago which saw the removal of most Woolworths branding (except road sign) and Starmart brought back.

2 Likes

It’s an odd arrangement - two otherwise near identical service stations, but for slight differences on the price sign to see if they take fuel vouchers or not.

Which must be fun for staff at the Caltex stations that don’t take the vouchers.

1 Like

Also fun for both Caltex-owned co-branded and Caltex Woolworths, as they don’t take each others gift cards. Very messy. Also really inconsistent with credit card fees I’ve noticed as well.

I think if they give the nod on this deal they will force BP to on-sell stations to other potential buyers in SA and other markets that BP already has a high market share in. Considering back in the day that the ACCC rejected the initial Mobil deal with Caltex, but agreed to Mobil selling to 7Eleven… could go either way.

1 Like

The other thing is that just because the Caltex Servo says its Caltex, doesnt mean that they’ll accept Caltex’s payment options either!