Supermarkets and Retail

When the invoice says “fully assembled” but it doesn’t come delivered like that… and improper parts are included and then the store’s response is basically “tough”… umm no thank you come and collect the thing and refund me :angry:

So now the lounge room has a huge couch-size hole in it… any suggestions for decent furniture stores in Melbourne???

Maybe a trip to footsacray is in order

2 Likes

Oh my gosh no… :smiley:

1 Like

If Steinhoff (Freedom, Best & Less, POCO, Harris Scarfe, and soon to be owners of Fantastic and Plush) buys BIG W has has been rumoured I reckon it will be ok into the future.

1 Like

I am missing this product.

It is no longer available at Woolworths. I’m on my last box and eating one ring at a time twice a week to make them last! Other brands of crumbed calamari rings have much bigger rings and taste nothing like the Woolies’ ones. The box says they are produced in China, so maybe they exist under another brand and Woolies contracted them as suppliers for their own label. If so, I haven’t been able to find them in Asian supermarkets. I guess Woolies would tell me to bugger off if I asked who supplied them.

Maybe they are made of rubber, plastic and glue, therefore don’t qualify as food in Australia now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Makes me think of the segments on The Checkout - product vs pack shot.

One way of finding identical products is to look at the nutrition label. If the ‘per 100g’ figure is a very close match between the two, you can be almost certain that the product is the same.

Woolies are phasing out Select… maybe it’ll reappear in time with generic “Woolworths” branding.

1 Like

Bunnings Group CEO John Gillam has stepped-down after 12 years in the role, coming as a shock to investors.

He was named CEO of the year last year & it regarded as one of the best, thanks to Bunnings’ success.

He will remain with the Wesfarmers subsidary in an “advisory role”. Current Managing Director of Bunnings Australia / NZ Michael Schneider will now report directly to Wesfarmers CEO Richard Goyder.

Gillam will remain in Melbourne (Bunnings Group HQ is in Hawthorn East, literally a few hundred metres away from Coles HQ) with his family, however he is originally from WA. He has been with Bunnings for 20 years.

Thoughts?
Many saw him as a key contender to succeed Goyder (which would probably have meant moving back to WA - Wesfarmers HQ is located).

1 Like

The Seven West Media registered office is in Perth and the Southern Cross Austereo registered office is in Melbourne, but looking at the annual reports for both it is clear they are run out of Sydney. Where the CEO is located doesn’t seem to matter as much these days.

1 Like

Registered offices are with the ASX. They’re for legal, legislation purposes, et al.

Whilst that may be, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is a ‘head office’ (take Prime Media Group for example in recent years).

NB/
If CEOs live in a differrnt city to head office, they are usually required more often than not to travel to that city for work, where the rest of their executive team is located (e.g.) TABCorp’s David Attenborough & as you mentioned Austereo’s Grant Blackley, among many others.

Thought his office was somewhere in Antarctica

3 Likes

“The punter, in his natural environment, smelling of piss, is about to partake in one of nature’s most beautiful spectacles. After depositing all his life savings on a horse, the punter, exasperated, has failed, having driven away all prospects of a successful mating season…”

13 Likes

Howard’s Storage World has gone into administration but a sale is possible.

Last week shareholders in Fantastic approved the sale of the company to Steinhoff. In Australia they will now own Freedom, Snooze, POCO, Best & Less, Harris Scarfe, Fantastic Furniture, Plush and OMF.

Imagine that - a store dedicated to selling plastic containers going bust. What a surprise.

1 Like

The news gets even worse today with administrator announcing all Payless Shoes stores will close in February next year, after failing to find a buyer. More than 700 workers will be affected.

I don’t think they could compete with Kmart who have cheaper shoes.

Kmart shoes are made of some sort of paper-like material and the sole is often just a hunk of vinyl matting. I don’t understand how people can buy those things - they’re uncomfortable as hell and wear out after 2 months.

1 Like