Supermarkets and Retail

So why is retail opening then? If the govt paid weeks ago many would simply still remain open and turn all stores into an online order click & collect facility.

5 Likes

It’s all abit quiet on the Myer front. I expect the whole point of the closure was to renegotiate/exit leases. Possibly going into VA next if they have no luck I guess.

Myer probably needs to go into VA, and someone to buy it , to turn it into a Online and 25 store major CBD/Mall operation. Like Virgin, use VA to strip out as many costs as possible (ie lease). I assume that’s the plan underway at the moment. Don’t have much cash sitting there. Could be as low as $30-50m now.

Just went to my local woolies…and they were giving away free garden pots

5 Likes

Now THAT is actually quite a good take on the old Home Brand branding.

The Jannali Flemings is an interesting little shop. Tiny for a full supermarket, which I suppose was the norm for inner-city main street supermarkets back in the day. It’s extremely narrow and long.

I’d read that they were going to remove the Flemings signage and place it in their ‘heritage centre’ in their Bella Vista HQ.

It’s kind of heartening to see that Woolworths actually do have a heritage centre for people to explore, but on the flipside I would have liked to have seen them keep at least one store in Flemings branding as a time capsule forever.

5 Likes

It was nothing like an old Flemings inside. It was all Woolworths style branding inside and had been for many years.

1 Like

The SMH, 14 May 1987. It’s taken Woolworths thirty-three years to fulfill their plan to retire the Flemings name.

10 Likes

You know, you don’t want to rush into these things! :laughing:

1 Like

Not a surprise. This is the same Woolworths where about half of its Big W locations still have a 2 generations old logo, and the same Woolworths that continued to operate Dick Smith & Tandy stores that were untouched with original logos since the Late 70s / Early 80s. It’s clearly tradition! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Ironically, I think Flemings has actually outlived Clancy’s and even Food For Less, which went the way of history either last year or the year before.

3 Likes

And Shoeys, or maybe that was just a Newcastle thing?
(also Bi-Lo too).

Look at how long it took Woolworths to retire the Safeway name.
(I still think that was a bad idea.)

5 Likes

Yes Bigw has a large variety of shopfronts, fonts, logos. Looks like too many people experimenting with logos over the years. Kmart has had the one logo from memory. Target changed their font.

In fact, their current logo appears to be the original one from the 80s.

Uploading: 458CD543-80C9-4950-97D0-FAB8F01F3B09.jpeg… image

6 Likes

I actually quite like all of those Big W logos.

5 Likes

Has anyone come across a BIG W store with the new signage, logo and branding? I haven’t seen any yet and am interested in how the store looks. I couldn’t imagine it looking any different to a store with 80s branding still intact.

Edit: Have found a picture of the store in Katoomba sporting the new look, at least on the exterior:

images (84)

6 Likes

BIGW really could have done the Kmart thing and gone really cheap, it has the right name/look/style. It’s always been a cheaper brand too.

2 Likes

We had a long narrow two aisle Nancarrows near us in East Bentleigh, that branding was removed around that time except for the engraved name on the trolley handles. Don’t think it became a Food for Less, think at one point it was a Firework.

1 Like

That Big W on the bottom picture looks familiar, it could be the Mt Gambier SA store.

1 Like

It is, it mentions Limestone Coast on the ac care banner.

1 Like

How’s that rebranding for Westfield Booragoon going? A few media outlets still referring to it as Garden City when they reported on Myer and Apple re-opening their stores recently.

An iconic name which will take a long time to disappear.

2 Likes