Supermarkets and Retail

Well not really shock they did announce they were shutting 30 stores within 3 years. So they have 2 years to close the rest. They did say they would give 3 months notice, so they have 20 odd months to go. That’s not much time for 26 stores to get the axe. I assume those stores ‘on the list’ will probably get cut during this virus if they are trading down. Why bother continuing? From memory Woolworths have already recorded the impairment against the store closures.

I reckon they will announce a lot more in the next month or two.

1 Like

4 Likes

Melbourne’s third Coles Local store opened at Hawthorn yesterday. Located near Glenferrie railway station and Glenferrie Road shopping precinct, it was converted from a Coles supermarket, and features the first ice cream bar for dogs, an extensive vegan and vegetarian range, Japanese mochi ice cream, self-serve barista-quality coffee from DC coffee roasters, a candy bar, and more than 350 meals that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. It is also the first retail outlet to sell treats from Melbourne patisserie Brunetti.

2 Likes

Is that similar to the drive-thru coffee machines at McDonald’s?

2 Likes

Do they use the same type of coffee machine?

I chuckle every time I hear the ad for Hungry Jack’s “Jack’s Cafe” touting Drive-thru barista-quality coffee

2 Likes

Isn’t it literally just a fancy automatic espresso machine, as opposed to the regular dishwater espresso machines they have?

3 Likes

I really wish companies would take the time to spell check the names of their locations - Devonport, Davenport make boxer shorts. Just checked their website too with the store finder to make sure it wasn’t meant to be another location. Nope, they meant the Tassie one - they also get the address wrong on there too with “Rook” instead of “Rooke Street”. I know most people don’t care but to me it’s really unprofessional when a business can’t get simple things like that, especially when they’re trying to get shoppers but clearly don’t give a toss to even get your town name correct.

4 Likes

More like dishwater quality coffee.

Yes, I see a lot of “Davenport” misspells up here on the mainland.

Doesn’t help that there are a few cities in the USA called Davenport.

Coles extends trading hours as panic-buying eases

Almost 200 stores will begin trading from 6am, the supermarket giant confirmed this morning.

A special community shopping hour - set aside for elderly and vulnerable customers and emergency and healthcare workers - will also be opened up to everyone.

The grocery chain has also reopened Coles Online orders to all shoppers.

1 Like

So basically, they’re abolishing the ‘community shopping hour’. Hmmm…

Target has announced it will be closing their Pasadena store in Adelaide. Reports are that the space will be converted to TK Maxx , marking the brand’s arrival in Adelaide.

Nearby Target stores are at Edwardstown, Marion and Unley.

It’s probably less critical now then it was a few weeks ago now things seem to have settled down in the supermarkets and stock levels are returning to decent levels

2 Likes

Interesting weeks ago retailers closed for lack of customers and employee safety - now that Govt job keeper payments are set to filter through they take advantage of “free employees” and open up their operations. I’m sure they will dig out every employee during this time and once things pick up and the payments end reduce shifts and people.

1 Like

So, not “fully” stocked then.

There are actually still a lot of items missing in supermarkets.

2 Likes

That’s not how it works.

The cynic in me thinks that this was a factor in having jobkeeper - if some of the financial hurdles to operating can be removed temporarily it may allow businesses to continue to operate and help the economy tick over.

These measures are going to have to be in place potentially longer then just the period that we are concerned about the virus

1 Like

Kind of amusing that the headline says surprising new time when AFAIK most Coles stores opened at 6am anyway in NSW/TAS/VIC.

2 Likes

I was in the supermarket yesterday and strangely there are still a lot of things still understocked.

Just about all the Dairy Farmers Full Cream Milk. was sold out. I took one of the last two 2L bottles left. Last week I could only find 1L and 3L. Some home brand Flour was there but branded flour was and many of the baking goods shelves were empty.

Haven’t been able to find Johnson and Johnson Baby Soap, which is the only brand my parents will use. It’s been out of stock for two months. Also had to buy them a home brand disinfectant because Glen 20 has also been missing for weeks.

On the up side, some of the other retailers in Westfield had reopened yesterday. They had big “We’re Back!” signs out the front.

2 Likes