Supermarkets and Retail

The Sanity in Frankston was replaced by a Medibank.

1 Like

The Sanity in Shepparton Marketplace closed earlier this month.

There was another Sanity in the Maude Street Mall, which closed about 9-10 years ago IIRC.

In the last five years, the Shepparton Marketplace has lost KFC, Donut King, Wendy’s, Noni B and a stand-alone Tattslotto store (now a booth). I believe the centre has increased rent, which has only driven tenants away.

1 Like

I remember thinking it was odd that a new Sanity store opened when Belmont Forum in Perth upgraded a year or so again.

David Jones announces the closure of its James St, Fortitude Valley store

2 Likes
1 Like

A fruit and vegetable shop located between Woolworths and Coles at Westfield Woden in Canberra closed midway through last year. The area has been boarded up since with no sign as to what if anything is going in there. Usually when a shop closes in a mall something else has moved in fairly fast, even if it’s only a temporary store. But not anymore.

2 Likes

The general economy in the Woden town centre has been struggling severely since most of the public servants moved out, who knows if the ACT government’s strategy of light rail and high density residential development will save Woden.

2 Likes

Where have they moved to?

Newer offices in other parts of Canberra, also many public servants have lost their jobs since the Liberals have been in power

1 Like

Kaufland have pulled out of Australia

4 Likes

Woe-den?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist).

You do have the hospitals there, though.

The hospital isn’t really in the town centre (it’s in Garran) but it’s close. Step outside the Westfield shopping centre and it’s a pretty dull place

I fear the stand alone neighbourhood fruit and veg shop is following in the footsteps of old fashioned butcher shops. It is particularly evident in inner city suburbs where eating on the run, eating out or online food ordering and delivery services are rapidly increasing in popularity for busy, time poor professionals.

1 Like

I remember when the commercial news bulletins were promoting the heck out of Kaufland.
I believe there’s one being built at Epping in Victoria, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to that unfinished building now.

I think Kaufland’s rivals (especially IGA) will be breathing a sigh of relief now that the German hypermarket has pulled out of Australia.

1 Like

Same thing in SA, they’d just started construction of exterior walls at the store at Prospect in Adelaide and was just about to finish demo at the Keswick site where Le Cornu’s used to be. Two empty sites now in SA, also bought another site up north as well I believe.

OMG has Le Cornu’s finished?

1 Like

Bizarre move from Kaufland considering how far they have come.

I assume financially the whole project was starting to blow out and long term profitability was becoming even more longer term?

As seen with Masters, you need large scale to even make inroads to any form of profitability probably for these guys at least 100 stores. Until to reach that point it’s a heavy loss making initiative

1 Like

They were probably noticing how many bricks and mortars businesses are collapsing in Australia and were concerned that they would never make a profit here.

I agree but the supermarkets are still doing well. My Woolies shares hit an all time high today. This is after yesterday’s all time high.

The shopping centres are loving the supermarket tenants but the clothing and homewares stores are struggling big time.

1 Like