Supermarkets and Retail

You must be shopping in the 1970s. :wink: They stopped calling it that decades ago.

Will be interesting to see how much space they decide to remove from their CBD flagships as opposed to cutting space in the suburban / regional stores that are part of their network. They’re already in the process of substantially reducing the floor space of the store in the Perth CBD as the building it’s in is getting its first renovation since the late 80s. Wonder how much the Melbourne and Sydney CBD stores will be impacted in the years to come (Considering the Melbourne flagship originally opened with 9 floors of space less than 10 years ago).

I feel this is a generational change that a lot of retailers still haven’t picked up on, I also go out of my way to avoid any stores with that kind of fussy, over the top service.

1 Like

Myer was downsized from Bourke St + Lonsdale st stores to just the Bourke St. You couldn’t make the Bourke St store much smaller unless you closed the top floors.

That’s exactly what might happen. Either lease it out to other retail or convert it to office space.

I was in Myer Melbourne recently and was surprised that at least Menswear and Baby and Toddlers are located in the Emporium building on Lonsdale Street. Could be an easy cull once the lease is up.

What’s happening with the Lidl expansion in Australia?

Probably nothing.

It’s never been more than a rumour that the media writes about every 6 months or so.

TK Maxx will open its newest Melbourne store at Forest Hill Chase on Thursday, March 28, taking up the space formerly occupied by Big W.

TkMaxx is also due to open in Werribee in the old Toys r Us site.

Corio Shopping Centre is a Mess especially behind the Coles Supermarket which the Carpark has to go Underground to extend the Shopping Centre, who bought the Centre?

I go past Corio regularly and sometimes shop there, its very run down these days it has been mostly abandoned in favour of Waurn Ponds which is much bigger but a strange layout with a mix of old and new sections

Aren’t Corio and Waurn Ponds on the opposite sides of Geelong? (though I know Geelong isn’t big city). I would have thought Corio shoppers would be more likely to go into the city centre than Waurn Ponds?

Yes they are opposite sides, the CBD has a lot of issues with crime and anti social behaviour, I live close to the CBD and I try to avoid it where I can. Corio people can easily get to Waurn Ponds via the Geelong Ring Road so its not too far, some will also go to Werribee Plaza.

1 Like

What’s the tune used in this Aldi Advert? It seems vaguely familiar.

It’s Heavy Action, which is known in UK as the theme for Superstars (all round sports competition show on the BBC in the 1970s and 1980s) and elsewhere as the theme of NFL Monday Night Football on ABC then ESPN in the US.

1 Like

Build A Bear has been placed into voluntary administration with 10 stores set to close. https://mumcentral.com.au/build-a-bear-australia-voluntary-administration/

It truly is a bear market then :frowning_face:

1 Like

Macquarie reckons Woolworths may close up to 60 Big W stores

1 Like

Surprised it’s taken this long.
Woolies would be better off selling the chain for $1 that shutting the whole thing down mind you, however any sale (especially to private equity) would be under intense scrutiny after what was done to Dick Smith.

Will be interesting if that level of store closure is enough to make the business profitable again.

Looks like Big W ain’t so big anymore.

1 Like