Supermarkets and Retail

How long until Sky News After Dark is back from their non-denominational festive break?

1 Like

I can already hear Pauline on the phone to Sunrise to arrange a live cross

3 Likes

Paul Murray is back Sunday January 27, Andrew Bolt, Credlin Monday January 28.

1 Like

Target in Mount Gambier, SA has announced it’s closing down, last day of trade is May 25. It will be replaced by a Coles Supermarket which is relocating from it’s current location.

Not a massive surprise with a Target, every time I have gone in there in recent years there’s hardly any customers around, the store is a shadow of it’s former self.

1 Like

My local Target is looking very dated too.

I swear it still looks the same as it did back in the mid 1990s when it first opened.

Not many customers there either.

3 Likes

The former Harris Scarfe building in Devonport is due to be knocked down, it still has a few logos on the windows along one street which are for Fitz Geralds which was now about 25 years ago.

Harris Scarfe moved into the old Harvey Norman building late last year which when undergoing redevelopment there also finally removed some of the relics from Loughrans another transition from around 25-30 years ago.

The Harris Scarfe site was half cleared about 15 years ago when the Coles store was knocked down and is about to be turned into a luxury hotel as part of stage 2 of the Living City plan.

Another chain in trouble.
https://twitter.com/newscomauHQ/status/1090790771635118080?s=19

“I blame a lot of factors, from greedy landlords who will not allow us out of leases and who then charge us ‘de-fit’ costs on the stores … that’s cost me $3.5 million alone. The malls are dead, there’s no foot traffic, everyone’s buying cosmetics online but the landlords don’t want to hear about it,” Perdis said.

This is the continuing problem that shopping centres are going to face and they aren’t doing much to help smaller retailers remain in these spaces.

1 Like

Chemist Warehouse and Priceline Pharmacy seem to do ok with cosmetics and perfumes, probably because you are forced to walk past them to get to the actual pharmaceutical products, and they clutter the cash register waiting line with advertising for cosmetics.

I know. I get my prescriptions from Priceline and it’s right at the back. My old chemist back home went from being quite a friendly, warming place to shop to looking like a Chemist Warehouse-esque place. Many people have told me they’ve gone to the newer chemist next to Coles.

I don’t know about you guys, but I want my pharmacy to be more like a pharmacy, not a supermarket.

3 Likes

Why can’t Wesfarmers by Napoleon Perdis?

Why would they want to?

3 Likes

So that you can actually put lipstick on a pig

3 Likes

A Chemist Warehouse opened up near me last year and it’s actually in a former IGA

Hmmmmm…sexy pork. :heart_eyes::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Oooh la la!

When I was a kid, I used to think Miss Piggy from The Muppets was kind of sexy.

Not anymore, definitely not after your post, ECC!

WAtoday implying it is a lucky dip for Aldi whether it is getting liquor licence applications approved in Western Australia.

They’ve done well to get as many approved as they have in the last 2 years, and the fact that they’ve been permitted to have liquor on the shelves in the supermarket has opened the floodgates for several IGAs to apply for similar licenses and re-configure their stores accordingly.

The areas they’ve had applications rejected have generally been low-socioeconomic with a significant number of adjacent liquor stores, albeit in some cases it has been clear that a double standard favouring Coles / Woolies has existed where prior BWS/Liquorland stores were approved without issue but Aldi ran into issues.

DJ has gone through three CEOs in the past five years. The constant change in leadership hasn’t been good for the retailer.

1 Like