Supermarkets and Retail

Went to Westfield Whitford City in Perth for the first time in a few years. The new restaurant precinct and Event Cinemas looks good. Disappointed that the cinema is now seperated from the main shopping malls. Patrons have to walk through the outdoor restaurant precinct to access the escalators up to Event Cinemas, compared to previously accessing the cinemas from inside the main centre.

The rest of the centre urgently needs an upgrade/expansion.

David Jones was meant to be constructed as part of a 3 store deal with WA Wesfield Centres, but talk of that happening has gone quiet.

1 Like

Going back quite a few years ago City of Joondalup rejected Scentreā€™s initial development proposal that included space for the DJs and a couple of mini majors (albeit the restaurant court at that time was planned to be integrated as part of a second level of the centre more along the lines of Carousel and not in the current configuration - they had initally planned to move Coles to where the current restaurant area is). Would not have been surprised if the council had a vested interest in reducing the level of local competition against Lakeside Joondalup.

people in the suburbs have nothing else to talk about

2 Likes

here in Brisbane they have announced an upgrade to Mt Ommaney that will add a pub and cinema. Meanwhile 4 KM down the road, the local DFO has also announced a cinema.

I canā€™t see them both going ahead, and if i had to bet iā€™d say DFO will not happen - Mt Ommaney needs it more anyway. Mt Ommaney is at a point where they are too big for the shops they have, but not big enough to draw people in. there is a big turnover of shops and a cinema could be whats needed here (and besides, the public transport is MUCH better than to DFO)

New ice cream available from Woolworths

Hot Cross Buns are great on their own, but as an ice cream?

Surely itā€™ll be a bit like regular vanilla ice cream with the spices/fruit of hot cross buns?

Although itā€™s not a product Iā€™d personally buy/consume in any caseā€¦

Expecting itā€™ll just be a vanilla base with cinnamon and sultanas addedā€¦

1 Like

Story from WIN News that Coles has yet to distribute any funds from the 30c drought levy on milk.

2 Likes

Not good enough Coles.

2 Likes

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but Blockbuster Video at Morley, WA is now the only Blockbuster store in Australia.

4 Likes

Many video stores in Australia have been closed down. With the risE of a netflix, Stan, people are downloading movies off the internet. Iā€™ve seen a lot of video stores that have been closed down and replaced by other retail. Back in Southlands in Willetton, they used to have Video ezy, but have been replaced by a restaurant.

Is that news to anyone?

5 Likes

:egg: :rabbit2: Saw the first packs of Easter Eggs in Coles this morning. :joy:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Brands, Products and Promotions

That ice cream reminds me of the now annual Coles ginger bread ice cream tub promotion

Coles was full of it yesterday and so is Woolies.

I guarantee there will be social media outrage and protests in the streets from the usual suspects by the end of the week.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there will be outrage about the Australian flag on any products. The flag does not cause anger at the Olympics or the cricket.

There may be outrage that the products that feature the Australian flag were made overseas. This outrage will start on 2GB as people with imported cars, phones, microwaves, fridges, washing machines, televisions, radios, air conditioners, computers, cutlery, kettles, coffee machines, vacuum cleaners, toasters, dinner sets, clothing and dishwashers ring up to complain about the imported Australia Day products. Then these same people will recharge their mobiles on Vodaphone, pay their Netflix subscription, book a holiday to Bali and then race down to Aldi to do their weekly shop.

Thatā€™s why 2GB is the home of outrage. And irony. And comedy.

6 Likes

I was being a little facetious. The suggestion of outrage would be more in connection to such products being sold in connection to Australia Day and how unfashionable it has become to celebrate the day in some sections of the community.

2 Likes