Supermarkets and Retail

You’ve said that “fact 1” (i.e. location of management) equals “success” but haven’t exactly told us why or how the two are connected. Just because management is located in one way does not necessarily make that inherently linked to the outcome. Their “success” could just as easily have come about from other factors not just this one. The physical location could be the least significant factor for all you or I know.

To put it into TV terms. I could say “The Seven Network is on Channel number 7 and Seven Network is #1, therefore the success is due to being on Channel 7”. There would need to be some sort of link between the two statements otherwise you’re just putting two facts together with no plausible link.

3 Likes

Yes, I understand that :slight_smile:

I’d agree, their massive marketing has been one of the big reasons why.

As well as on shows like MasterChef & MKR every year.

(e.g.) As I’m typing this, there’s a Coles “yummy pizza… it’s a down, down” ad playing on 3AW radio in the background" :expressionless:

How about you just write that in your diary and not bother giving us every tedious detail of your life? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry about that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Luke’s cred on supermarket commentary just went down down

18 Likes

Mt Gambier

Just saw another one with a biscuit and a tin of baked beans riding the big red hand! Love it.

4 Likes

James Packer is to sell his Pretty Girl Fashion Group, that owns Table Eight and Rockmans, to Noni B for up to $75 million and he will emerge with a 10% stake in the listed Noni B.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/noni-b-buys-james-packers-pretty-girl-20160802-gqjp7y.html

David Jones to move HQ from Sydney to Melbourne by 2019, expand Sydney CBD store to 11 levels

I didn’t expect DJ’s South African parent Woolworths will relocate the department store’s head office to Melbourne, Woolworths is consolidating the offices of all its divisions in one place.

The Victorian Government even borrowed DJ’s famous slogan in its press release: http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/theres-no-other-state-like-victoria-for-david-jones/

1 Like

I didn’t expect that you didn’t expect that. Usually I’m surprised that you are surprised. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I am also shocked.

Usually Head Offices from their originating town (especially major/well known companies) NEVER move.

Sad for the 600-800 staff at the current Sydney HQ.

Wonder how many will move down south?

NB/
This is what can happen when a company is acquired…

NB: You keep stating the bleeding obvious. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It’s not stated, but it was already announced that the Market St store will be sold with everything being in the Elizabeth St store. Both stores are looking somewhat drab despite upgrades over the years.

Scente (Westfield) is also front runner to purchase the Market St store and expand Westfield further.

1 Like

It was also reported that the Victorian Government worked with Woolworths to bring David Jones’ head office to Melbourne. I am not sure if taxpayer’s money should be spent to lure a big company to here, I think Woolworths can afford the huge cost of relocation.

I somehow get the feeling, David Jones (AKA Woolworths Holdings SA) agreed with the VIC Govt’s money offer…

Just to compete better with MYER (for multiple reasons)

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:339, topic:167, full:true”]
I somehow get the feeling, David Jones (AKA Woolworths Holdings SA) agreed with the VIC Govt’s money offer…[/quote]

You think?

4 Likes

We can only speculate. :laughing:

If that happens the combined Westfield Sydney and Westfield Sydney Central Plaza will huge.

Saw a couple of pics on Facebook earlier of a recently closed Woolies in Fremantle. One of the first closures?