Supermarkets and Retail

Looks like it closed in May. This article says a few stores have closed in Fremantle in recent years.

Woolworths in Moonah still using the old branding. Sorry for the bad quality.

1 Like

The store was in an odd place considering where most of the (albeit declining) retail trade is in Fremantle, I think they were banking on some major residential/apartment developments to wrap up within the first few years of trade adjacent to the location but it just never happened. Also had no free parking nearby until too late.

It wasn’t even an old store, had a relatively new fit out.

Although Lidl is now sourcing some products for their European operations from Australian producers they have no plans to open supermarkets in Australia due to the small market here, and are concentrating on further expansion in the USA.

1 Like

That store had a major refit about a year before the new logo came through, around 2007 I think. Prior to that from memory the store was pretty much a free standing one and then the arcade was built around it over a couple of years and it became known as Moonah Central. Drove past it for the first time in years about the time you posted that photo!

1 Like

I ventured into the Flemings at Jannali for the first time (was curious to see) and my god, it is an incredible time warp. Like the Flemings at Bexley North, It carries most items you’d expect at a Woolies, but man the fridges and freezers looked straight out of the 1980s.

They still use these signs for the aisles:

I’d predict it’ll be another one of the many Woolworths supermarkets to close soon.

1 Like

[quote=“mubd, post:349, topic:167”]
I’d predict it’ll be another one of the many Woolworths supermarkets to close soon.
[/quote]I think their is zero chances of Woolworths in Kerang closing down, Its in a great location just off the Murray Valley Highway that everyone drives past while going through town, the only competition they have is a local IGA which is in a poorer location. The closet Coles would be Swan Hill which is 60 km away. The reason for it not being upgraded is probably because its a big store with smaller population and little local competition

Thanks for the information. :slight_smile:

David Jones Market St Sydney store has been sold to Westfield owner Scentre Group and Cbus Super for $360 million. DJs will lease back the building until 2019 after which Scentre will expand Westfield Sydney into the lower levels, with Cbus converting the upper levels to office space and putting an apartment building on top.

1 Like

What time of the day do Coles open their self serves? Also, my local is closing at 11.30pm instead of Midnight tomorrow night for a “system upgrade”. Is this national or is it a rolling… errrr rollout?

I noticed a new interface on the self serve machines/checkouts at my local Coles a few weeks ago. Looks a lot cleaner.

Most certainly a slow national rollout over the next couple of months.

Woolworths must be happy?

Finally they’ve got a sponsorship for a cooking reality show :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Occupied by Coles with MasterChef & MKR. Do Coles have an exclusive long term contract? If not, Woolworths have done a lousy job).

They had one before with Recipe to Riches.

Wonder if Coles will sponsor Survivor or The Block this season?

1 Like

Pretty sure Aldi is sponsoring The Block

Rubbish story on ACA, concocting outrage about Kmart putting the registers in the middle of the store rather than at the exit. The store at Mt Druitt has had that layout since early last year at least and it works fine.

1 Like

I noticed the new layout at my local Kmart last year and was somewhat annoyed by it. Haven’t purchased anything since it has been installed but would be unlikely to buy certain things from Kmart now I know I have to open the bag on my way out of the store.

1 Like

Kmart at Westfield Fountain Gate at Melbourne’s outer south east also have registers in the middle of the store. I thought it was odd when I visited the store a few months ago.

self serve is still by the exit though

1 Like

Yeah, all of the Kmart stores in Townsville have had this new layout for a good 6-12 months. I was surprised when ACA said it was only in a few select stores.