Supermarkets and Retail

Ahh Solly Lew, still walking around with a bucket of shit and a whisk

2 Likes

Last time I bought from David Jones was earlier this year, when I got a Helly Hansen jacket that was discounted by $100. Before that, I can’t recall when I bought anything from them.

Assumed Roger David had died in the 90s! Was completely unaware it was still out there.

2 Likes

On Thursday, BDO’s business restructuring partner, Andrew Sallway, said the firm run by brothers David and Craig Tozer had acquired the business. However, on Friday morning, BDO said while the liquidators had explored a transaction with Tozer & Co relating to the trading of the business and the acquisition of Max Brenner in Australia, it was not going ahead.

David Tozer of Tozer & Co said he did not know why the deal was off. “I don’t know,” he said. “I am literally surprised.”

Mr Tozer said he only found out the sale wasn’t going through when he got the press release from BDO. “I could sue them for this,” he said.

So the existing stores will close it appears, however Tozer has purchased the Australian rights to Max Brenner from the Israeli conglomerate Strauss so it is likely to reappear here.

And they plan to expand it into Asia. You’d think the liquidators would rather sell it and make some money than wind it up at a huge loss.

Are you confusing Roger David with David Jones?

3 Likes

Some of them used to have hairdressing salons in the back of them too. Not sure if that’s still the case with the remaining stores.

I never knew that. Stallions Stable was where I got my haircut back in the 1980s … these days it’s Christiane’s of a barber.

Dimmeys used to as well, Kmarts with cafes. All that stuff doesn’t exist anymore.

2 Likes

explains why you have trouble getting the ears lowered

I was a Stefan man back in those days. Must’ve been taken in by all those Stefan infomercials that used to air on morning television. I don’t think that chain even operates in NSW anymore?

I remember going to the Stefan salon at the QVB when I was going for a job I really wanted- had the Fabio hair cut off and a facial, the only one I’ve ever had, at Face of Man. I’d just lost a heap of weight so I thought I looked pretty damn hot in my Roger David suit following that makeover. Aren’t I glad “selfies” weren’t a thing back in those days…

3 Likes

Just curious, anyone here sometimes go to or used to go to Wendy’s? As in the ice cream/Donut King rival.

They’ve really disappeared and changed in recent years, used to love their “megashakes” and hot dogs, now in shopping centres I’m only finding Donut King and tend to just go there for the odd donut and coffee or cold drink in the food courts.

At its expense, others like Schnitz, independent dumpling and asian stores, etc seem to be popping up.

1 Like

They still exist? I havent seen one for years

2 Likes

Used to go to Wendy’s all the time but the one at my work turned into a donut king and they are few and far between now unfortunately :frowning:

Now branded as Wendy’s milk bar

1 Like

They still exist, but must’ve been bought out or something, look completely different theee days and as mentioned very sparse. Also very modern with harsh lighting and usually in the middle of thoroughfares rather than a section against a wall in a court.

Yep, still do a decent shake. Recently went to both Eastland and The Pines. Haven’t had a hotdog for years, not sure if they still offer them. Too many better options at food courts these days.

Wendy’s was okay for milkshakes, but that’s about it. Their ice cream was never too great and they charged waaay too much for Hot Dogs.

As already mentioned, other food court options have improved over the years, especially in larger shopping centres as the likes of Ben and Jerrys have entered the market.

2 Likes

There used to be a Wendy’s in Mornington outside Safeway.

Loved Wendy’s Agro ice cream back in the day.

3 Likes