Supermarkets and Retail

As it turns out they only have a handful of stores in Melbourne and none in any locations I would go to

1 Like

There’s one at QV I’ve walked past.

The Wollongong store is on the busiest intersection in town (& is actually the store pictured in the article). It will be interesting to see who snaps up that location.

this was an iffy location anywhere. it’s not that busy with the exception of when cruise ships are in town (its next to the brisbane cruise temrinal). i’m suprised it lasted this long

There’s an Oliver Brown outlet at the Western Sydney Uni campus at Rydalmere (which replaced a fairly standard university run cafe), which appears to be relatively successful.

I’ve been to a Max Brenner at Westfield Doncaster. It’s nice and decadent but also very expensive.

An expensive overhaul of the company’s head office in Alexandria, in Sydney’s inner south, appears to have been a major cause of financial pain – hitting its cash flows so hard it stopped paying staff superannuation for the last six months of 2016.

They used supermarket bought “ice cream”. Ewww. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The stuff that they are not allowed to classify as ice cream?

3 Likes

Then shouldn’t it be called Partially Gelatinated Non-Dairy Gum-Based Ice Cream?

2 Likes

It just rolls off the tongue and so does that stuff. :joy:

+1 with TelevisionAU I’d never even heard of Max Brennar nor does it appear to have many stores in Melbourne (which is surprising, yet heaps in Queesland even WA).

That style of cafe never does well in Melbourne. Some franchises struggle barely keeping their heads above the water since the company passes the risk onto the franchisees. As I understand, MB are all company owned.

Really? Koko Black is basically the same thing (maybe slightly more upmarket), originated out of Melbourne with locations all over Melbourne.

1 Like

But isn’t Koko Black just a chocolate shop like Haigh’s chocolate shops rather than a cafe? The Sydney one is only a shop.

Not overly familiar with them, sorry.

No they make a sinfully deliciously rich hot choc!

Recently noticed my local Woollies still has the old Safeway mosaic fully intact on a wall which has since been built out of view by the adjoining building. Many old Safeway’s will still have the circular spot where the mosaic was but long removed or painted, bricked over.

7 Likes

I miss Safeway’s big red ‘S’ logo.

4 Likes

Tickets for the pop-up store will cost from $29 to $35. In Melbourne it will be located on level 6, in the space taken up by Giftorium over Christmas.

Koko Black in Canberra also has hot & cold drinks, desserts and food. The hot chocolate is really good.