Supermarkets and Retail

I am going to Perth in mid November en route to Margaret River for Gourmet Escape festival, so I will get the chance to visit both renovated supermarkets in Perth CBD.

good. The supermarkets have been ripping off the farmers with their $1/L milks. I won’t buy the home brand milks from Coles or Woolworths.

5 Likes

Quite a few:

Helps to read the article, rather than just the RSS

5 Likes

They had no plans to close the store in the first place, just the building management of Raine Square buggered up and did not initially think they would be unable to let Coles continue to trade during the reconfiguration of the centre.

Basically the same store reskinned to modern Coles spec from what I saw (Had a meeting nearby today and happened to walk past).

Yeah I know. Just saying it wasn’t a great store before. And it isn’t now.

Totally agree, but at the end of the day as long as I can get what i need from Coles on the way to the bus port, at least it’s there! I was sick of having to go to Woolworths :stuck_out_tongue:

There are some cosmetic changes, the lolly aisle has half shelves in it’s section. The service desk has changed it’s bench to some sort of white granite thingy. Apart from that everything is the same.

On that note Woolworth s St Georges Terrace had a make over last week (could have been a nation wide thng) they have moved the self serve aisle to the left of the store and have freed up space for entrance area. The Sushi place is no longer in the centre, its near the bakery now. Which is great, because walking in there in mad rush and getting stuck behind hot business men in suits was pissing me off because everyone was trying to get passed everyone at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Agreed, certainly not ideal considering Woolies managed to jam a full line store in Enex without any trouble.

No doubt a lot of motivation from the way Coles had their store configured is that it is classed as a “central” store, meaning no catalogue specials.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Brands, Products and Promotions

Highpoint Homemaker Centre in Melbourne’s west has been put up for sale by GPT, which owns Highpoint Shopping Centre across the street.

Another franchise in trouble.

Don’t understand why Max Brenner is in trouble when the horrendous (in comparison) San Churros seems to be thriving :\

Albeit I guess Churros probably have a massive margin in comparison to chocolate based desserts.

I much prefer the hot chocolate at San Churro. I ordered a takeaway hot chocolate at Max Brenner and had to throw it out after a couple of sips. Gross.

San Churro do good hot chocolate, and their coffee is actually not bad

I don’t usually drink hot chocolate but I have liked it. Love the hazelnut chocolate dipping sauce for the churros.

I can only judge from my local stores, but for atmosphere alone, San Churro wins hands down. I also struggle to find something on the Max Brenner menu I think I’d like.

1 Like

When it first opened Max Brenner had a savoury menu. When it was dropped I had less inclination to buy anything other than a take away coffee. The over priced bars of chocolate are not worth buying.

I found it to be a hit miss at San Churros. and I have had Max Brenner coffee a few times in Joondalup and i wasn’t impressed with it. It would be interesting to see what the end result of the administration is (which I predict it will be closure).

Yeah but you can’t judge a company in a different country to one in Australia.

4 Likes

Last time I was in Sydney, I was able to compare Guylian hot chocolate with Max Brenner. No comparison.

I find all varieties of San Churros hot chocolate to be way too sweet, and I’m not a fan of their other desserts so I guess that’s what has put me off them in the past. Several local places near me beat both of the chains when it comes to hot drinks and I’d never get a coffee at either.

Always had a good experience with the milkshakes and iced drinks that Max Brenner does, however the locations over here have the nerve to have not just a public holiday, but a weekend surcharge.

At the same time they definitely have aspects of their business that never seemed all that viable (several locations have an elaborate chocolate shop section that nobody ever seems to buy anything from).