Supermarkets and Retail

Helen Wellings is a spin doctor? Has she taken over from Simon Francis at Seven??

Martine was a well known news reporter before she moved to Coles.

2 Likes

Something new from Red Bull - anyone know when they hit shelves?

Does it give you wings?

3 Likes

A very small world @Sully :smirk: she was also a reporter on ACA for a short time before joining Coles.

1 Like

So wonder what her employment position entails, as she’s always seen doing these 15sec supermarket grabs. Something like:

Coles marketing/publicity director: :notes:ring ring, ring ring​:notes: “Hey er, ah, Martine, we need you down at a supermarket to speak with Helen Wellings from Seven News at midday, think you can do that?” Or is she based at like a full time office or something. Seems like an underwhelming role. Should’ve stayed with Nine. Lol

Most large organisations have a media spokesperson and often they come from a journalism background. While we might only see them in 15 second grabs on the news they would have a full time office job and would be dealing with multiple media requests not just the 6.00 news

5 Likes

She went “down down” with Coles

3 Likes

Sounds like a good training ground to be a PR spokesperson for a supermarket, knowing how often ACA airs advertisments reports about bargains at retailers like Coles! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It seems that Martine Alpins’ first appearance on Nine was as a contestant on Millionaire. That somehow morphed into a reporting job at Nine. I wonder if Coles also spotted her on Millionaire? :thinking:

Fairfax in 2009:

3 Likes

Didn’t know that. I’d hazard a guess Coles in a publicity role would look upon that highly and advantages, so explains a lot. When did she join/leave Nine, honestly don’t remember her.

You can’t be much of a Nine News viewer if you don’t remember her given she was such a high profile Melbourne reporter for eight years from 2016 covering the Black Saturday bushfires, police rounds and consumer and health stories.

1 Like

At Nine from 2006-2014, she covered 2009 Black Saturday Bushfires.

1 Like

Found her LinkedIn, holy shit, I take back what I suggested, she’s got a huge role, like reading an essay just at Coles alone and she’s not even the department head :open_mouth: Explains how she’s conveniently always ready on site to do a presser https://www.linkedin.com/in/martine-alpins-a6936735/?originalSubdomain=au

Martine was with Win Victoria before joining 9.

1 Like

Back on topic please.

1 Like

Woolworths and Coles both announced they would increase the price of their own brand of 3L milk by 30 cents, with the extra money going direct to drought affected farmers. But how many people buy 3L milk these days? Won’t it be more effective if 1L and/or 2L milk go up by 30c while 3L packs stay the same price?

I bet the price never comes back down after the drought breaks…

3 Likes

The only people buying 3L bottles of milk are people with big families to feed. Don’t quite understand the logic of not applying a 10% increase across the board but I don’t buy home brand milk anyway so whatever…

1 Like

Sorry for kinda off topic one more time - but Mitch Catlin is another. Worked for 7 and 10 before moving to Myer in similar role as Martine.

Coles Raine Square in Perth reopened this week. Unfortunately the store and layout is not much different to the one they closed so the fanfare wasn’t too big.

The Woolworths refurb at Enex is way better. In the battle of the Perth CBD supermarkets, Woolies takes the blue ribbon.