Supermarkets and Retail

Do they still have a McDonald’s on site at the Royal Children’s Hospital? :wink:

I believe so. I guess money talks.

This sort of thing is the peak example of unnecessary government over-reach / regulation and a real policy problem that sections of Labor and the Greens tend to be obsessed with.

It comes across as so arrogant, basically putting down policy because they feel that people make the decision to eat the type of food that they do because they’re too stupid / ignorant to understand that it’s “not good” for them.

1 Like

It’s even worse when it’s poorly implemented.

I mentioned a few weeks ago an example where Ikea removed all the conventional soft drinks in favour of ‘fruit waters’ as part of some healthy living drive.

Now, instead of having multiple sugar free drink flavour options available at these fountains, all the fountains are now fruit waters.

Ikea tout that these drinks have half the sugar of regular soft drinks, but that’s still a considerable amount of sugar (about 20g/375mL serving). If you don’t want sugar at all, you have to drink the still water which isn’t particularly exciting.

It essentially means that the people who were consuming the artificially sweetened beverages with no sugar in them will be more likely to gravitate towards drinking the ‘fruit waters’ with sugar in them, which is a really bloody stupid idea.

2 Likes

There are fruit flavoured waters without sugar which are the best alternative. Mount Franklin Lemon, Lime, Raspberry, Mango, for example.

I understand that, but I’m specifically talking about Ikea’s range at their restaurant soda fountains. They don’t have a sugar-free option for these ‘fruit waters’ at all.

Those fruit waters are disgusting. I prefer the apple cider.

I like the flavour of the fruit waters, but your preference of the apple cider is probably because it has 50 grams of sugar in it per 500mL serving.

1 Like

Nah, it’s the 0.1% alcohol.

The 50 grams of sugar would prob amplify the effect

I would say the taste of it. I’ve heavily cut back on the sugar but on the odd occasion I go to Ikea (usually because I’ve gone to Decathlon across the parking lot), I like to grab a hot dog, ice cream cone and apple cider.

I totally agree. However I think there should be healthy options as well. It annoys me when you go to certain places and your only options are junk food. I don’t see a problem with junk food if there are healthier alternatives as well. Give us both options and let people make the choice.

3 Likes

RIP Toys R Us Australia 1993-2018

1 Like

A shame. I still remember when I went with my parents went to a Toys R Us to get a Nintendo 64 as a birthday present and just being amazed at the fact that a huge shop existed just for toys.

3 Likes

I just wish they were around in the late 70s when I was into toys.

JB HiFi is my “toy” 'store now.

4 Likes

Never had any affection for Toys R Us because I was fully grown by the time they came on the scene. Uncle Pete’s Toys was the place to get to for kids in NSW during the 1970s-1980s. Hobbyco was also a must visit on a trip into the city for model aeroplane and train kits.

1 Like

Hobbyco is still in the Queen Victoria Building and they have another at Rhodes now.

For me, it was Toyworld… Much smaller than Toys R Us of course.

1 Like

With the brand having only been in Australia for 25 years, I think there might be less fond memories of Toys R Us in this country (although I’m sure there’s still some mourning for the demise on the millennial-based websites) compared to the US.

Even though I was born a couple of years after Toys R Us started in Australia my memories of the brand are vague at best, probably because I rarely visited any of their stores.

1 Like

That’s probably why! :smile:

1 Like