Supermarkets and Retail

It’s better than the Coke with Raspberry at least :slightly_smiling_face:

Love that artists inpression in the second cap.

2 Likes

Bring back Pepsi Max with Lime (or Lemon).

CUB will sell alcohol directly to the public after its owner AB InBev bought Australian online retailer BoozeBud.

The Chullora building is being revamped into a Home Consortium centre.

https://www.home-co.com.au/location/nsw/

1 Like

That’s what I thought! Looks like something from some of the Random Mocks thread.

Disappointing, BoozeBud is a great source for craft beer… CUB will end up only selling its own IP / properties through it before long even though I’m sure they’ll promise to make no changes.

With the liquor market dominated by the supermarket duopoly it was already hard enough to find good craft beer, local and imported at decent prices that isn’t the tiny selection that the powers that be at Coles and Woolies deem worthy to stock. Independent bricks and mortar stores don’t have the space or interest to stock a wide range in a lot of categories.

So they do visit Media Spy?

Ikea is rolling out smaller stores in the eastern states, with self service areas replaced by home delivery.

Not a terrible idea, but I think they’d still need the larger centres for people who want the furniture on the day.

I just bought two pieces of furniture from Ikea yesterday (which is the first time I’ve ever bought furniture from there). I’m pretty surprised by how solid they can make the stuff flat-pack, and how easy it is to understand the instructions despite there being no actual words. It took me about 4 hours to assemble a bed and desk. I do have some criticisms - like all the screws and bits and bobs being placed in a single plastic bag instead of being separated into different compartments (which could be done by applying heat to compartmentalise the bag), which just makes it extremely difficult to find the ones you need.

I also bought a kitchen tap from there about a month ago to replace a shitty one I bought from Bunnings a few years ago. The way they include everything you need in the box, like tools, is great.

At Bunnings you’d need to buy a tap wrench, and you’d probably end up paying about the same or more than Ikea for a similar product. The old kitchen tap we had from Bunnings also had some dodgy temperature controls (water came out way too hot), whereas the Ikea one maintains the perfect temperature.

I think our instant hot water system has a higher water temperature than normal (it’s 30-40 years old) which was playing havoc with the internals of the old tap. I think the Ikea taps must have some kind of temperature regulating device inside it.

Queensland is starting a process where sugary drinks and “junk food” will be banned in various places, including sale, sponsorship and advertising. Queensland hospitals and health care facilities will be first with a complete ban on sale of ‘unhealthy’ snacks. Junk food advertising around schools, sports grounds and public transport hubs will also be phased out. The exact threshold of what will be deemed unhealthy is yet to be determined.

Australian Beverages Council spokesman, Geoff Parker, said the industry had been blindsided, calling it an insult to people’s intelligence.

1 Like

Victoria has similar policies in place at hospitals, community sport and recreation facilities and schools.

Hmm Geelong Hospital sells all the normal junk just with advisories.

There are vending machines in the waiting rooms at Westmead Hospital with colour coded stickers on each of the beverages/snacks. Funnily enough it classified those sugar laden Barista Brothers drinks as green (good).

As does the Austin and others. Alfred is leading the way where for example Coke and potato cakes are available, but not displayed. Perhaps the Queensland example is a lot tighter and possibly legislated rather than a policy.

This is rubbish IMHO. we all know whats healthy and what is not, give me a choice. I was in the children’s hospital here in Brisbane for a few nights last week with a sick daughter and often the only food I could get was from the vending machines when the nurses were checking my daughter as she didn’t want to be left alone, or have stuff brought in with visitors.

As a pepsi drinker who can’t stand the taste of Max it didn’t leave me with alot of options.

in my second year at uni the student guild signed an exclusivity deal with coca-cola for all the vending machines on campus - all we could get once this came into force was Barista Bros and Mother - both of which i can’t stand (if i want an energy drink it will be red bull). It would not suprise me if at westmead money changed hands

1 Like

Can’t speak for NSW, but under the Victorian guidelines, flavoured reduced fat milk is a bit of an oddity in that it’s the only drink which can contain sugar and be considered green if under 250ml. There are other nutritional benefits (calcium and protein) that soft drinks don’t have.

The Children’s Hospital at Westmead has a Starbucks with the usual terrible coffee and sweet pastries. Does a roaring trade.

If your kid/family member is in hospital you should be able to comfort yourself with a pie or whatever you want.

10 Likes

I suspect the convenience stores near these hospitals will also be doing a roaring trade when the junk food ban is introduced. Many of the staff at the hospital a relative works in walk down the road to the 7-11 rather than choose from the limited options in the hospital. They’ll even play “dodge the junkie” when on night shift to satisfy cravings.

Agreed, I’ve gone to the 7-11 next to Geelong Hospital while my partner was in Emergency