Supermarkets and Retail

I have almost no memories of Toys R Us despite growing up during its golden age because my parents never bought me any new toys and thus always kept me out of toy stores. I only ever got 20 year old crap from the Salvos.

To put it in perspective, one of the toys I had was a speak and spell knock-off with a glowing 7 segment display and was about the size of a cash register. I’d say it probably was made in the late 1980s, and I was playing with it around 2001-2002. It also had a function where you could type in a word and have it read the thing out. I had a lot of fun making it say swear words.

I still enjoyed the Salvos toys as a kid, but having grown up I now realise all the cool toys I missed out on in the late 90s/early 2000s.

3 Likes

…are magic :smiley:

Walked past Toys 'R Us in Frankston today, completely empty.

Got 30 points at Woollies today for bringing my own bag. Bit more generous than the two points on offer previously. No staff intervention required, just a pop up on the pos.

1 Like

yep, launched today in all stores

Doubt it happened in Tasmania.
Woolworths have a different reward system here.

huh TIL SCTV wasn’t a 40-something-year-old with 5 kids of their own. I had no clue you were a bit older than me hmmmmmmmmm

next thing I’ll be told is that not everyone on this forum is a dude

2 Likes

I just happened to go to two Woolies today. The city supermarket had the pop up but the suburban didn’t. But I only bought two small items the second time so maybe it thought I didn’t need a bag.

They’ve tried to get rid of it in the past but they’d lose too many customers to Coles. The rewards are or at least were heaps better on the Frequent Shopper Club system that they couldn’t change it too much for fear of rioting but it was too generous to implement elsewhere in the country.

I remember World 4 Kids as being that big toy store that we were always excited to go to as kids. Toys R Us would’ve been around but the World 4 Kids near us was much bigger.

Just discovered that it only asks if the transaction is your over $5 and if its your first shop for the day. ie if you claimed them at the city and then spent over $5 at the surburban store, it won’t ask.

2 Likes

I have lived in Melbourne for so long to be able to see the rise and fall of both Toys R Us and World 4 Kids.

The World 4 Kids I remember was the one in Clayton. As a kid the store felt HUGE. I think when it shut down it became a BI-Lo or something. Not sure what’s there now… probably an Aldi.

I went to World 4 Kids in Clayton once. It was behind the row of shops at Clayton Road. I think it is now the site of Coles supermarket.

Yes I know the reasoning. Was pointing out the statement above mine had made an incorrect assumption.

Has anyone seen Toymate? I went into the newish store in Blacktown last week and it was complete sensory overload. I will try to avoid taking my kids there.

The Toys R Us stores at Chatswood and Parramatta Westfields had quite large footprints so I wonder what new stores will go in there?

Actually speaking of Blacktown, Westpoint has had to close half the car park for urgent repairs, which has lead to traffic and parking chaos in the surrounding areas. They don’t know how long they will remain closed. If not finished by the Christmas rush, there may be more pressure on other big shopping centres nearby.

I think it’s the same for a lot of the stores. The one at Chadstone is pretty big so could easily become a department store (like Big W) or supermarket but I’m not sure the centre really needs anymore of either.

If it’s where I think it is, Clayton has a car park with two coles which look at each other, 100m apart.

1 Like

That was a Venture store originally. Think there was a big fire there sometime in the 1980s.

What on earth was a Venture store? I was born in the second half of the 1980s so before my time.