Supermarkets and Retail

A couple of Wendy’s have opened over the last 12months in my area… now known as Wendy’s Milk Bar.

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

There’s a Wendy’s Milk Bar in Mt Gambier, it’s been in the same location for over 20 years.

I wonder if that is something driven by the US hamburger chain Wendy’s? They operate in NZ already, so maybe the name change let’s them use a consistent brand.

Milk Bar is a strange name though - a milk bar sells pies and sausage rolls, not milkshakes and donuts.

1 Like

Huh? When did milk bars stop selling milkshakes? Before extended supermarket hours and petrol stations turned into convenience stores 40 years ago, they were the only place to buy milkshakes, confectionary, soft drinks, bread, milk, newspapers and fast food items after business hours. There was at least one in every suburb. I’ve never had a thick shake better than the ones I used buy every Saturday morning at the neighbourhood milk bar in the 1970s.

4 Likes

I’d say all the places I’ve been to that call themselves a ‘Milk Bar’ I’ve been to in the last decade at least are essentially just a convenience store - a flavoured milk out of the fridge is the closest they’d sell.

Obviously I realise that it’s in the name ‘Milk Bar’ and that they probably used to - but I certainly make a Milk Bar = Convenience Store connection.

A decent chunk of Fish and Chip shops will do them - which is the last place I’d have gotten a milkshake other than at a place like Wendy’s or Donut King, or in a cafe/restaurant.

1 Like

I’ve been to the 2 Year Old Myer Werribee Store today and they’ve got their own Private Labels Like Kenji & Reserve Which is a Men’s Clothing Brand.

I used to enjoy a Flake Shake from Wendy’s about 20 years ago but the quality of the product from such franchise stores these days is poor. The soft serve ice cream they use just doesn’t taste right to me.

Is that new to you? These have been their home brands for decades.

1 Like

Blaq is also a Myer home brand.

1 Like

I agree. I rarely go there and if I do, it is only because it is close to work.

what’s that

2 Likes

Coles actually used to be the old large brick building behind the main clock tower roundabout, where First Choice Liquor is now.

Prior to that it became Bi-Lo, which makes sense because it was owned by the Coles Group.

When that happened, was around the time Centro shopping centre was built, at the back of the Main St shops (now known as Mornington Central, when Vicinity took over a couple of years ago).

Before Centro, the area was once a train station, with a rail line going through where The Bays Hospital now sits. Reminants of the line are now used as a historical weekend ride train, starting adjacent to Watt Rd (in industrial area) and going all the way up through Moorooduc over the highway.
Yes, the train line once upon a time didn’t just stop at Frankston!

Most of this can also be found though Google Maps / Street View.

Some Mornington history from Sully :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Mornington Peninsula’s most distinguished resident…:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Caught this on the morning news just before (during a sad story however). “Safeway” logo at a Geelong shopping centre in mid 1990s. My local shopping centre only updated to “Woolworths” about 7 years ago.

4 Likes

Anyone interested in a bit of retail history might like this Twitter thread.

The rockets of Coles New World (50 of them!)

8 Likes

12 Likes

‘Coles New World’ kinda rolls off the tongue better than just ‘Coles’.

1 Like

Everyione I knew just called it New World, although I do remember the Coles New World marketing in the early 1980s. Coles was the variety store.

I wonder if they were originally marketed as Dickins New World.

New World was the first sponsor of Temptation in 1970

4 Likes