Supermarkets and Retail

Housewives being tempted by Tony Barber.

Wouldn’t be the first time, probably wasn’t the last. :stuck_out_tongue:

Even though they’re called Woolworths now, to me they’ll always be Safeway.

3 Likes

Aldi currently has Lay’s chips as part of an American foods promotion, however that are not imported from the USA has the promo implies, they are made in Australia by Smith’s. I wonder if this means that Smith’s are planning on rebranding their thinly cut chips back to Lay’s, which they were back when Pepsi first bought Smith’s, iirc.

Screenshot_20180617-155934

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-16-june/saturday-detail-wk24/ps/p/lays-chips-175g-1/

2 Likes

That wouldn’t be a good idea. Smith’s has better brand recognition.

They had Smiths branded prawn flavoured chips for a UK foods special buy recently too.

I think they should have both - Smiths Crinkle Cut = Smiths, Smiths Thinly Cut = Lays.

3 Likes

Smith’s is a premium brand. Lay’s is not on the same level in my view.

Sigh the Plastic bag ban starts at my work this week. Despite all the promotion, I can guarantee I’m going to spend the next few weeks being abused by customers about the ban as if I personally chose to ban them :frowning:

8 Likes

Lay’s Classic Salted made by Pepsi India is available in some Indian-Sri Lankan grocery stores. I’ll try to buy both the Lay’s Original from Aldi and the Indian version this week and compare them with Smith’s.

Agree, but I wonder why the Lay’s brand disappeared in Australia in the first place?

I think it’s a similar thing to when Kraft sold its brands to Bega.

Thins was originally owned by Arnott’s before the hostile takeover by Campbell’s Soups in 1997, who sold the brand to Smith’s. PepsiCo acquired The Smith’s Snackfood Company in 1998 and had Smith’s Crisps and Thins.

PepsiCo tried to introduce its Lay’s branding in Australia and for a while produced both Lay’s and Thins thinly sliced chips. In 2002, the Thins brand was then sold to Snack Brands Australia (owned by Arnotts).

Smith’s competed with Thins using the Lay’s brand. It didn’t work and the Lay’s line was rebranded in 2004 as Smith’s Selections Thinly Cut. Now just Smith’s Thinly Cut.

imageimage

3 Likes

I think there was a period if my memory serves me correctly where Thins Chips were branded as Lay’s Thins.

My go to when in India

Huh?

Try the local Indian supermarket on the Mornington Peninsula.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t, I went there for a loaf of bread once but they had naan.

I’ll see myself out! Try the korma!

12 Likes

Sally Williams has quit Brand Power after more than 25 years.

3 Likes

Okay, if you ever go to India, coaches often take you on tours from town to town and stops for snacks (in usually poor looking areas) sell nothing but Lays chips and Mars chocolates :yum:

WHO’S GONNA HELP ME BUY BETTER NOW WHILST STANDING IN FRONT OF AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF YAKULT

A N G E R Y

10 Likes

25 years of looking exactly the same on TV is a pretty good effort, but, in my opinion, still falls short on Marianne Van Dorslar, who doesn’t appear to have changed since she read weather in the 70’s.

1 Like