Supermarkets and Retail

The store in Werribee was branded Coles Central for a while and had the green coles logo. Changed to Coles quite some time ago.

I had to google that. Your description was accurate.

4 Likes

I like how they’ve gone with a wooden floor instead of the marble one used in regular Coles.

The wooden floor and green logo makes it look like they took over a woolies store tho

5 Likes

If my likely terrible memory serves - there used to be another shop in where the fresh food area was - and the Bilo never had a fresh food section/bakery, so it got added as part of the Coles conversion.

Either way - the rest of the store is still just a rebadged Bilo - and that wooden bit you see in that photo is pretty much all the wood in the whole store.

Horrible place. Better to shop at the Woolworths up the road. Or the NQR even.

1 Like

… Why green in this one instance?

It was a concept store at the time, going back about 7 or 8 years. We had the same type of concept store, green logo and all in Claremont here in Perth.

Wesfarmers has put Kmart Tyre and Auto up for sale. News Corp reports Bapcor (known as Burson Auto Parts until 2016) has hired Morgan Stanley to assist with possible moves to raise cash from investors and buy the business.

The handful of times over the years I’ve been to Kmart Tyre & Auto I have never been satisfied with the quality of the service. They seemed to have mostly young guys working there who were not fully committed to the work they were doing. Kmart also overcharged. Last time I went there was probably twelve plus years ago.

Totally. Anyone presents me a drink with a straw it gets taken out.

1 Like

Makes sense that they’d do that. It’s a relic from when Kmart was an actual department store which offered full service among its various departments, like the garden centres, sporting goods (guns), Holly’s Cafe…

Now that Kmart is basically one huge $2 shop dealing mostly in ambient stock with very minimal actual service (the photo desk is basically all that’s left), it really makes no sense to retain the Tyre and Auto section.

Now here’s something interesting. I bought this McCain “Man-Size” meal at a supermarket. Is this the highest kilojoule count per serving on a pre-packaged foodstuff?

2 Likes

Agreed, used them once and the experience basically made sure I would never use them again (extremely overpriced and aggressive upselling to try and get me to pay for a service that was not required).

At least they don’t pretend it’s two serves like a lot of other products do when they’d otherwise have a massive number,

The nearest one to me is combined with a Shell/Coles Express - which makes a lot of sense, other than perhaps the branding. Wonder if Shell would consider buying them back?

Royal Dutch Shell don’t have a retail presence in Australia themselves. They licence their brand to Viva Energy Australia who then sub license the Shell brand to both Eureka Operations (Coles Express) and other franchisees.

3 Likes

The only time I use a straw is when I have a Wendy’s Thickshake.

1 Like

How many Wendy’s stores are even still around? I thought quite a lot of them closed down after a franchising dispute or something.

there’s a Wendy’s still open in Bayside Centre, Frankston.

There was one in Mornington but it shut down.

Geelong still has 2, one in Market Square in the CBD, one in Belmont Village

On the beautiful Mornington Peninsula.

The last one I saw was at West End Plaza in Albury, a short walk from a Sanity (and a big one, too)

4 Likes

The one in Mornington used to be just outside Safeway in the shopping centre at the front of Main Street, then they moved it to Centro just down the road.