Supermarkets and Retail

Yes, good old Fitzgeralds, still written on one of the windows of the Devonport store. Pretty sure that where JB HiFi is now was part of Harris Scarfe years ago but not sure about Reject Shop.

The building in Hobart is the old Fitzgeralds building, I think itā€™s actually etched into the top of it in Collins St. It definitely still says it at any rate. I can remember when it used to go through the overpass onto the other side of the street too!
I think the Cat and Fiddle area (which is now pretty much stuffed btw) where JB/Reject Shop was redeveloped simultaneously, so both must have once been part of HS. Amazing how in the space of 20 years itā€™s gone from what it was to a 2 level store.

Some bars are switching from plastic to metal drinking straws.

I donā€™t even trust that the dishes, glassware and cutlery are cleaned properly when I visit some hospitality venues. Thereā€™s no freakinā€™ way Iā€™d even put one of those things to my lips let alone sip a beverage through it.

2 Likes

Yeah, how the hell are they going to possibly clean these things properly?

Youā€™d need to brush the insides of those things to actually get these clean enough to my satisfaction, which 99.99% of these restaurants will not do (theyā€™ll probably just throw them in a dishwasher and say ā€œsheā€™ll be riteā€).

Another thing that turns me off the metal straws is the thought of having it speared through the roof of my mouth if someone fell on me while I was sipping on it or something.

I think paper straws are the best long-term solution.

Hereā€™s a choice quote from the article which makes me roll my eyes:

If I have to stay in a hotel for one night, Iā€™ll put all my rubbish in the one bin or, even better, in public waste and recycle bins. On check out, Iā€™ll then leave a note for housekeeping letting them know I havenā€™t used the bin(s) so they donā€™t have to change bin liners on account of a single piece of dental floss. I like to think these little steps make a difference.

3 Likes

Metal drinking straws can be sharp and cut your lips too.

The only time I use a straw is when drinking a milkshake or thickshake (which isnā€™t very often).

I always drink soft drink or juice straight from the glass, cup, bottle, can etc. So no great loss for me.

Yeah. Real men donā€™t use straws. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

They use rolled up $100 notes.

2 Likes

Coles is set to open convenience stores in inner city locations similar to the Woolworths Metro stores.

Theyā€™ve already got smaller Coles locations in cities, but not as many as Woolworths Metro. I believe they were originally known as ā€˜Coles Expressā€™ in the 1990s before the petrol stations got the name - at which point they switched to ā€˜Coles Centralā€™ until a few years ago, when they were all just rebranded Coles. I believe theyā€™re slightly larger than the Metro stores, but definitely a hell of a lot smaller than a normal Coles supermarket.

There are locations in Sydney at Wynyard Station and George & King Sts as well as in Melbourne in Melbourne Central.

3 Likes

When Bi-Lo disappeared from SA, the Stirling and Aldgate stores in the Adelaide Hills became Coles Central (only because they are small as they are definately not inner city), both are now Foodland stores IIRC

And at Elizabeth Street near the Flinders Street intersection at the southern end of Melbourne CBD. The space used to be a large branch of the Commonwealth Bank.

also Myer centre and queensplaza in brisbane

Having been in Sydney for a few weeks for work, Iā€™ve found the Coles stores far inferior to the Woolworths Metro stores.

In Perth the only Coles ā€˜Centralā€™ closed for the Raine Square redevelopment and is due to re-open in September. The store was not a ā€˜catalogueā€™ store so was very expensive compared to the two Woolworths we have in the city which offered full line including weekly specials.

Speaking of, Woolworths St Georges Terrace is undergoing refurbishment.

3 Likes

Most of the Metro supermakets in Sydney are new. The two small Coles ones mentioned in the city are old and dated. World Square and Pyrmont are newer and up to Metro standards.

The Harris Scarfe at Macarthur Square in Campbelltown is good store. That area in far south-west Sydney is served well by Macarthur Square and the nearby recently expanded Narellan Town Centre.

Could Harris Scarfe move into Midvalley in Morwell and Continue their Queensland Expansion?

What part of the centre did that open in? I remember David Jones closing at Macarthur Square years ago and Harris Scarfe taking the floor space only to close and for DJs to reopen after a centre refurb. Havenā€™t visited that centre for a couple of years and was shocked to learn they now charge for parking which is odd considering the abundance of parking there and Campbelltown Mall, near the train station, still doesnā€™t charge.

1 Like

I canā€™t really describe where it is expect to say itā€™s probably about half way down the mall. David Jones has reopened there. I purposely went there and Narellan a month ago to go to H&M as the Pitt St store didnā€™t have in stock the jacket I wanted, and neither did those stores and ended up getting it in Canberra a couple days later.