Supermarkets and Retail

3 Likes

my former local supermarket. it’s in a beautiful converted old soft drink factory

1 Like

I always found that building strange. I was in there not three weeks ago. Crazy that that happened there.

Love me some West End.

Earthquake?

Or is there something under that floor?

theres a carpark underneath. talk is a car hit a pillar under there

I was surprised to read they were looking at expanding the Kmart model overseas given how badly they buggered up Bunnings UK.

Bring back Fosseys!

7 Likes

Last time I went there which would have been around two years ago, it was still the same.

Ahhhh yes…Fosseys.

I don’t think it’ll come back. Like Shoeys and Bi-Lo. :rofl:

1 Like

Shall we start a Petition to Metcash or Australia United Retailers Limited to buy the 125 Target Country Stores and Let them Become Independently Owned Clothing and Homewares Stores?

No

1 Like

Or Venture.
Or Waltons.

:frowning:

or Southern Cross Television

3 Likes

Or Farmers
Or Grace Bros

1 Like

MetCash is struggling enough (the number of IGAs that have closed and/or are for sale at least in my part of the country is alarming) without having to buy a portion of a chain that is not sustainable in the long run.

Then that would be down to the issues with the independent owners of most of the IGAs, unless Metcash is the owner of the IGAs in your area.

IGA is, essentially, a buying group - they would be buying into the rights to use the name and access to their Australia-wide advertising as well as access to their distribution centres. I used to do audits for IGA - Metcash/IGA may have only had one in the areas I covered, that being the superb Muswellbrook store, being a former Franklins. The rest were either independent or part of Ritchies or Carlo’s.

1 Like

If you’re aiming to go high end, why would you exit an almost flagship location?

6 Likes

WA electrical retailer Kambos has gone into administration with its stores in Perth closing suddenly on Saturday. One franchise store in Harvey south of Perth is continuing to trade.

Administrators Hall and Chadwick are handling the companies finances.

Apparently the company owes creditors more than $1 million.

The company is run by Peter Kambouris and has been around since 1962. It was once part of the Retravision group.

It’s really bad there and the Kambouris’ are feeling the pinch right now, so to speak.

Employees were told on Friday that it was the final decision. Liquidators already started to move stock on Friday.

interesting that JB Hi-Fi hasn’t purchased it considering they’re trying to make waves in the Home department - something Kambo’s was.

Not really, the website has been down for a while and their stores have been shutting up shop for a few months now. When you expand too quickly, this sort of thing happens.

Anyone know how Harris Scarfe is going? Used to be way more stores in Victoria than there are now. And on Target, still my preferred retailer, sad to see how it’s ended up. Wesfarmers basically conceding defeat now after all the failed re-vamps/strategies. If Kmart wasn’t excelling, Russo would’ve been axed too be now. Just a decade ago, the most profitable and largest sales non-supermarket retailer.

They opened a store at the homemaker centre in Coburg a couple of years ago. It’s not huge but seems to do a decent trade.

Which stores have gone?