Supermarkets and Retail

Don’t Forget Corio Central.which needs an Underground Car Park and an Extention to the South Side.

Not anymore. Coles at The Glen is now closing at 10pm every night as well.

1 Like

My other local Coles closes at 10pm as well, nearest Wollies is around 10 minutes away and buses don’t even run past 9pm…

1 Like

For the $20 mystery box on Master chef lon Sunday, I giggled when the contestants were shown being driven to Coles through the city when they would’ve just walked next door to the Ascot Vale store.

5 Likes

Eh, wasn’t that the flagship store at one point? Also the closest Coles here but the one in Moonee Ponds is better.

At my local supermarkets, Woolies and Coles close at 10:00pm and Aldi closes between 7:00pm and 8:00pm on all days.

1 Like

I believe so, bumped into Curtis Stone there one day filming a commercial.

Has Moonee Ponds Coles had an upgrade? Always thought the stand alone Woollies the south side of Puckle St to be the better option around there.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/struggling-discount-chain-to-lose-20-per-cent-of-stores-in-coming-years/news-story/2a272b36918300beecdab6ca9d8aa1ab

While not singling out specific stores, apart from Highpoint in suburban Melbourne which will be downsized, Wesfarmers department stores chief executive Guy Russo said the reduction would occur over the next five years.

Highpoint is huge, from memory it was the first Target Home concept. Interestingly, The Target centre was originally separate from the Myer developed Highpoint when first opened. They joined together in the 1990s.

The rural stores I’d have thought might be ripe for a buyer, especially where they’re one of the biggest retailers in town. Either that or the IGA or Foodworks may branch into more clothing and variety lines. Corryong is like that.

1 Like

I wonder if Target Country is in the crosshairs…

No I was not trying to be funny

1 Like

What do you make of this quote:

“Where it’s a little sadder is when it’s in the country town and there is no other retailer,” he told investors in Sydney.

I’d say they’re the low hanging fruit. Unlikely to become a Kmart either.

They’re f**ked. Sadly.

Greensborough Plaza was also home to a Target Home. IIRC, it took over Myer, which was only open for a few years. Haven’t been there in a while but I believe the Target there is still spread across two levels.

Yes you’re right, was there about a year ago and still over 2 levels. I don’t think Myer lasted long at all there.

there is a major problem with target and its the fact that it does not have a clear market segment.

Target used to be in the marketplace above K-mart, but below the department stores. This has changed and it’s become a dumping ground for rubbish - essentally k-mart by another name. It’s a problem of there own making honestly.

4 Likes

They mention in that article that Kmart is looking for an overseas expansion.

One wonders if they might buy the struggling Kmart USA from Sears and revitalise it using the Australian formula…

1 Like

I think Target stores in rural areas (like the one in Colac in south west Victoria) are in the firing line.

Depends what else is around.

In the St George area in Sydney we had a Target in Rockdale and a K Mart in Sylvania. A second K Mart opened nearby in Hurstville Westfield and then later a Target also opened in that shopping centre.

the stand alone Target at Rockdale could cope with that competition but then a Big W opened in Rockdale Plaza. When another Big W replaced Myer in Hurstville Westfield, that killed the original Target at Rockdale.

Colac’s a large scale store and services a big area. I think it’d remain or become Kmart. I think any with the Target Country branding would be first, be they rural - Kerang etc or suburban like Bentleigh.

Just had a look at some of the trading hours, most open at 8am weekdays, shave an hour off that and tighten up Sundays and they’d save a lot in labour. But alas I fear the horse may have bolted.

Sounds like Target will be transformed to a boutique fashion chain.

Target will close dozens of stores in an effort to reduce its footprint by 20 per cent over the next five years and create a “boutique” fashion chain competing with fast-fashion giants H&M and Uniqlo.

I wonder if Target Centre Melbourne on Bourke Street is in the firing line?