Supermarkets and Retail

They also opened their first WA store last year after exiting the state in 1999 (and AFAIK a few more are planned pending shopping centre refurbishments in Perth).

Although I’m aware that their parent company Steinhoff (which own best and less and a number of other brands in addition to Harris Scarfe) are doing pretty badly on a global scale.

Apparently Harris Scarfe have opened up a bigger store or reopened or something in the Hobart CBD. They used to have a large store in the middle of town but it got progressively less and less and then chopped up and sold to other retailers (like JB HiFi etc…) but is now back again.

In Devonport they announced the other day that they’ve done a deal to relocate into the old Harvey Norman (old Loughrans) building in town in a couple of months when the Council who have been living there the past couple of years moves to their new offices. The existing Harris Scarfe building is then going to be demolished as part of the Living City retail plan.

1 Like

Harris Scarfe exited WA in 2001.

Another store is planned at Midland Gate next year.

Retravision or Bing Lee should take over.

Only 3 stores left. Malaga, Canning Vale and Harvey.

The Malaga store used to previously be a Retravision before Kambo’s took it over, so there’s a possibility they might reclaim that store again if Retravision plans to open new stores again.

Didn’t they go bust?

Think they’re confined to WA these days. Disappeared from Vic a few years ago.

2 Likes

RetraVision was a buying group that was individually registered in each state of Australia, meaning it was independent from each other. Most of the RetraVision offices (NSW, QLD and “Southern”) ended up going bust, but the WA office stayed in operation. The brand itself was sold off to NARTA International Limited which the WA franchises have an exclusive licence to use the name for their operation.

Two stores in SA ended up becoming franchises under the WA office when the Southern office collapsed back in 2012

6 Likes

I don’t normally like to talk trash, but I couldn’t help but mention these whiz bang electronic garbage bins that I saw in the food court at the Myer Centre in Brisbane today. It automatically opens as I approach it. I’ve never seen one of these before.

7 Likes

These have also popped up in the Galleria in Morley here in Perth. Wonder how much of a difference it makes compacting all the rubbish first.

1 Like

So, the Virgin Mobile in Perth City has already shut down…

Virgin Mobile in Rundle Mall already closed.

Same with Charlestown in NSW.

I was at Westfield Garden City at Mt Gravatt in Brisbane this afternoon, and the one there was still open, but it’s a kiosk as opposed to a retail store, and was staffed by 3 very bored looking staff.

There are similar garbage bins at Food Gallery at The Glen.

1 Like

Harris Scarfe had a presence in NSW at one stage too. They had a national distribution centre in Sydney too, found it on Google street view once. Not sure about as of now though?

Unbelievable how the retail landscape has changed over the past 10 years alone.

1 Like

I think all Perth stores closed. I know the Galleria one did

A Harris Scarfe opened at Top Ryde in Sydney about a year ago. I think there might be one in Erina on the Central Coast too. A couple of Harris Scarfe Home stores in the outer west suburbs closed down over the past year.

I believe the strategy they have is to buy old MYER stores in regional areas.

1 Like

Have had one in the shopping centre in Glenorchy (10 mins north of Hobart) for maybe 5-6 months. They’re weird units to say the least!

1 Like

Was closed for roughly 18 months for renovations. The store has since reopened. I believe the Moonah store will be undergoing renos soon.
Essentially, since it closed for renos, the store has halved in size due to H&M’s arrival in Hobart. I can’t remember whether or not the JB HiFi and Reject Shop that are now underneath were part of Harris Scarfe previously.
I can, however, remember it being Fitzgeralds!

1 Like

Try getting a light trolley at that Woolworths approaching from the Puckle St side. No such issue at the Moonee Ponds Coles.