Supermarkets and Retail

I’d imagine the cost to remain open significantly exceeds the sales being made in that period

3 Likes

Dragging up an old post I know, but this Woolworths at Murray Bridge Green is closing on Sunday. My aunty has been working there since the store opened and will be closing the store on Sunday. Woolworths have a newer store less than 1km away so theres never been any point keeping this one open

https://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/story/5424647/final-days-of-woolies/?cs=1527

4 Likes

Makes sense why they never updated the store then.

1 Like

Is there any reason as to why they’re closing several of their shops?

Probably because they have opened new supermarkets close by and the old ones have lost customers and are not worth keeping open.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Penalty rates kick in at 10pm so a store has to have pretty decent traffic coming through to justify remaining open past that. I tend to find that Coles is better at staying open later but that’s probably just in my local area.

2 Likes

A local Woolworths located within a shopping centre near me closes at 10pm nightly. Not surprising, everytime I go there after 9pm I sometimes feel like I’m the only customer there.

1 Like

Coles at the southern end of The Glen (Woolworths is now at the northern end one level below David Jones) is open until 11pm.

1 Like

Long gone are the days of the mid 90s in Victoria where practically every Coles and Safeway were 24/7 for a time. Then it went to 6am - Midnight… and the hours continue to decline as the years go forward and as the chains cut costs even further.

Noticed that Chemist Warehouse near me has extended its hours to 7am to midnight. Pretty sure that they used to only be open till 8pm.
I wonder if this change is in response to the arrival of new “cheap” chemist chains.

That’s a solid point of difference, especially for a major chain. Most of the chemists over here that observe long hours (I have one walking distance to me that’s 24/7) are independents and charge outrageous prices as a result.

1 Like

That’s a good peace of mind to have.

There is a Chemist Warehouse about a 3 min walk from me that is open until 10pm weeknights, the only 24/7 one anywhere near me is in Newcastle CBD, a 15 min drive.

Chemist Warehouse seem to be everywhere these days, one is going to open in a former IGA 500 metres from home. There’s already one 500 metres away in another direction and another two about 1.5km away

There are incredibly strict rules that dictate where you can open a pharmacy and each new location requires approval from the Department of Health. My understanding is that it is much, much easier to expand in an existing locale than to establish new stores in brand new areas.

Nearest one is around 350 meters away and then around 1.6Km North West away and there is another one that’s around 1.3Km south east from me. I find customer service to be shit as well as the isles to be too small.

2 Likes

So the butchered jingle on their ads is accurate? There really is a Chemist Warehouse in the middle of some of your streets?

5 Likes

Geelong? They are doing that here too to an old IGA

They took over and converted the only independent chemist in the small shopping centre I do my grocery shopping in.

The aisles are frustratingly narrow. Three or four times the amount of product the old chemist had in the same space. I have to squeeze past people to get prescriptions filled at the back of the whole shop.

The staff at the front are hopeless and there seems to be a high turnover. Some of the old pharmacists started off there but have since all moved on and the new ones all seem straight out of uni and not very experienced with dealing with customers.

And this comes after they had already set up another one up the road in what was formerly a $2 shop and before that a Coles Variety Store. I have to go out of my way to avoid them.

Agreed, I don’t find their stores to be appealing at all however they are very clearly driving price perception through store design (in a similar way that JB Hi-Fi used to do, and still does to an extent).