Supermarkets and Retail

I’ve been to the Marrickville Woolies since it was upgraded - Ashfield shits all over them for me.

No. They just taste bad.

Did the same with Bickford’s ginger beer cordial and now whenever it’s on special, the ginger beer is always first to go.

Optus Moblie has announced that they’ll close the Virgin Moblie brand by 2020

1 Like

That the concentrate stuff? Used to like the lemon lime and bitters one.

Disappointing. I’ve been with Virgin Mobile with various handsets since about 2002. And it helps me get Velocity points so hopefully that link continues if we get migrated to Optus.

1 Like

Not really a concentrate, just run of the mill cordial I add soda water to. The LLB is also decent.

Cordial usually is sold as a concentrate, yes.

3 Likes

David Jones celebrates its 180th birthday today and there is a 4-page wraparound in both The Daily Telegraph and Herald Sun today.

1 Like

I use a sodastream now

Not surprised, when the brand reverted to full Optus ownership several years ago I wasn’t expecting them to keep it as a full service brand for very long (considering the brand has its own store network and such).

Bought myself one for Christmas, I think the cost is on a par with the 75¢ bottles but so much less recycling to worry about. Thinking about a trip to Daylesford area though so might need to stock up for a few empties.

1 Like

Apparently some Amazon representatives are visiting some Coles supermarkets in Sydney (in an officially sanctioned visit) over the next few weeks. Apparently Amazon is interested in purchasing Coles.

I won’t reveal my source, but I personally think it’s quite credible.

2 Likes

Isn’t Coles Wesfarmers powerhouse?

Actually makes sense considering Wesfarmers are planning on spinning off the Coles business (they could just sell it to Amazon instead).

3 Likes

Yes, now why are Wesfarmers wanting to do so again? I’m not into business or shares, but is it something to do with their profits (even if it is their revenue powerhouse by the length of the straight? As in comparatively Bunnings and Kmart perform stronger?)

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/finance-news/2018/03/16/wesfarmers-unveils-plan-drop-coles/

This article from three months ago says that Wesfarmers wanted to offload Coles because of the threat of Amazon Fresh…but it doesn’t say anything about Amazon wanting to buy Coles itself.

I’m fairly confident that Coles wouldn’t want to be showing their competition around stores unless they’re going into a partnership/sale.

2 Likes

Well they did buy Whole Foods in the US. So this isn’t their first rodeo.

While shopping at Woolworths at The Glen this morning, I saw a notice that the store would close “permanently” at the earlier time of 10pm from Monday, June 4. Here, Woolworths currently shuts its doors at midnight, so the early closing time may be due to staff roster issues, or store management recognising there are not many shoppers at late night, not even on Thursdays and Fridays when the rest of the shopping centre is open until 9pm.

That’s the more likely explanation.

1 Like