Supermarkets and Retail

I get claustrophobic and felt sick in one Chemist Warehouse in Box Hill, I’ve seen mosh pits with more room to move.

2 Likes

There was (or still is) a CW in the Melbourne CBD and my gosh it would have triggered claustrophobia something shocking, aisles packed so tight together. The day I was there it was about a 40 degree day outside and air con was clearly not cutting it inside. Very uncomfortable.

The one on Bourke Street, where the Australian Diamond Company used to be, is way too small and packed. Hated going in there.
In comparison, there’s a big Chemist Warehouse one near me that has a decent width for their aisles. I’ve even seen one of their commercials being filmed there.

Wouldn’t want to see a fire go down in one of those smaller CW shops…

The one in my local shopping centre has loads of room. The only problem is that it seems to take forever for a prescription to be filled. I got the sense that they do this in the hope that you browse the store while you’re waiting 30 minutes for the prescription.

The way they set it up was odd. First, there was a “Discount Drug Store” in my shopping centre. They then were taken over by Chemist Warehouse and dropped the “Discount Drug Store” branding and the trading name was changed to “Southpoint Pharmacy”, with an extremely plain sign. It was basically a Chemist Warehouse by that point, as they had brought in the bags and the prescriptions were printed off using the Chemist Warehouse system (with the CW owner’s details and all that on the labels), except the range was extremely limited in comparison and the store layout had remained identical to the old pharmacy’s.

About 2 months after they did this, they relocated to the other side of the shopping centre. Coles had shut down and was replaced by an Aldi which took up about half the space of the old Coles. Chemist Warehouse filled the second half.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered how bad a fire in one of those places might be considering all the chemicals in their products. It could be devastating if people were trapped at the back of one of those shops, if the fire started at the front.

I can definitely think of several cramped CW stores around Sydney which would be a firetrap. Botany, Maroubra Junction, Bondi Junction, Randwick…these stores usually are quite long walking in from the street, but very narrow in width - about the size of an average shopfront.

There’s one Elizabeth St, in the city that’s exactly like that too. I go there because it’s near my work but it feels really claustrophobic.

1 Like

The Chemist Warehouse at Gawler Place, Rundle Mall in Adelaide is way too small & has a claustrophobic feel about it & the other 2 locations in Rundle Mall at the Myer Centre & Central Plaza aren’t much better. The only reason I sometimes go there is because of there cheap prices, but if I want good customer service I go Terry White Chemmart.

The one up on the 2nd floor? That’s shocking. The underground one across from Daiso is a bit better.

The local one at Newmarket is horrible.

It’s a split level. Ground floor on Elizabeth Street. Yes it’s bad. The one in Pitt Street near Pitt Street Mall is really bad too.

is that in Newmarket Plaza? That place would be tiny.

images%20(49)

5 Likes

Looks like a compounding pharmacy not doing their job properly! :rofl:

Someone in a local Facebook group I’m in found this under their carpet during a renovation today.

14 Likes

went to my local coles to pick up a few things this morning (less than 12 items).

first, like normal the self check outs were shut - at 9am. they normally don’t open them until 9:30 or 10:00 which is a pain in the backside because when i’m up that early (just dropped the kids at school) i’m not doing a full shop, just picking up a few things for the day.

today, however, the 12 items or less was shut too. I was caught behind someone doing a full weekly shop. really annoyed me and i was close to just abandoning the trolley and walking out, especilly when there is a woolworths in the same shopping centre and they open there self checks early.,

Send them some feedback down the bottom of this page:

So if that happens again will you definitely go to Woolwortths next time or are you a bit of a Coles fan?

Fewer than 12 items.

4 Likes

Actually it’s 12 items or less.

I’m more a Woolworths/Safeway person, have been all my life.

1 Like