Supermarkets and Retail

The rubbish breakfast show on KIIS Sydney and the networked repeat at night would be more offensive than that book.

6 Likes

Kyle is offensive just by him being alive. :rofl:

1 Like

Story from tonight’s 9 Gold Coast news about the first day of no (free) plastic bags at Coles Hope Island showed the 15c bag that can be purchased for re-use and re-cycle bins for that bag.

7 Likes

Those $1.00 green bags are much better than the 15 cents bags, most of them can last for years. Up until last year I was still using a BI-LO green bag which I brought back in 2006!

1 Like

My whole family is against the whole idea about banning of plastic bags. I on the other hand think it’s better for the environment. Apparently plastic bags are so much better then other material when it comes to shopping. I hate plastic bags. I’m buying a bunch of green friendly bags for my shopping needs. When I go to the pools I use a plastic bags (we have a whole bunch left, stored away, probably about a months worth) so I’ll be switching over when I use them all up. :stuck_out_tongue:
Can’t wait for it to hit W.A!

1 Like

They had those new thick plastic bags at the Woolworths I was at in Sydney yesterday, I just ignored them and used the free thin plastic ones. I almost always take my own bags into the supermarket in Canberra because if I don’t I have to buy a bag, but in Sydney I just use the thin bags at the checkout.

this is exactly why getting rid of free plastic bags is a good thing

4 Likes

As a reatil worker, I’m with your family! Going to make our job even harder. Worst decision ever IMO!

You’ll be replaced by a scanner soon so you won’t have to worry about it for too long.

7 Likes

ouch

2 Likes

“Worst decision ever” is a bit much. Some people need to look into the investigations about how all these plastics are ending up in our oceans and in the earth, entering the food chain and ending up in our bodies.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that checkout staff at Woolies/Coles are still expected to bag groceries, I guess they are trying to maintain some differentiation from Aldi.

1 Like

Singapore still have attendants who fill up your car with petrol. Maybe either Coles or Woolworths should introduce pump jockeys to differentiate themselves. :smiley:

An incident in mid-April when a Caltex Singapore pump attendant mistakenly filled up a customer’s car rather than putting in a much lower specified dollar amount:

1 Like

And many parts of the US as well. I think it might even be illegal to “pump your own gas” in some states over there (or at least it was until recently).

1 Like

Why would it make it harder for you as a worker?

Was in a Coles today which still has the second belt after the cashier where there would be a dedicated bagger. The cashier would only do scanning and payments.

Because we are going to have hundreds of customers a day complaining about having to pay for bags (especially where I work where a lot of our customers are older and who’s english isn’t the best). The envio bags are impossible to pack and myself, like a majority of my colleagues who I have asked on this issue, feel like crying when we see enviro bags come through. They slow us down significantly as they dont fit on the checkouts properly, often arent cleaned by customers, are odd shapes and just dont pack well.

Also we are going to have to deal with self serve, as the 15c bags there will likely be an honour system, trying to control that is going to be insane…

I get the environmental factor, i do. But from a workers perspectibe, our job is hard enough without this.

1 Like

Diddums. Sorry that the environment means you get to work a few extra hours a year.

4 Likes

I feel ya, you’ll be surprised how aggressive some customers are when they are told that they need to pay for a bag. At Officeworks, we also have environmentally friendly paper bags, and boy oh boy, they are the most difficult things to pack.

1 Like

Nonsense. The square corners make it easy to pack and instead of 4 plastic bags from the checkout operator I can fill my bag up at the self service the way I like it.

Sounds like you’re profession is going the way of typewriter mechanics.

1 Like