Supermarkets and Retail

Back in my days working the checkout I certainly preferred new green bags to pack. They aren’t annoying to separate like the plastic bags are, and when they have the base in them so are rectangular it’s easy to pack them - plus the shape makes it easier to take the tetris approach to filling them up.

Other enviro-bags that weren’t the supermarket issue square ones suck - but they aren’t all that much worse than filling a plastic bag - though slightly slower.

The main factor however is whether the little flap at the top is still in place. If you can hook a green bag onto the normal bagging thing - it’s a breeze to fill. If you have to try and hold it in place, it sucks.

1 Like

I always found plastic bags much faster to pack into as a checkout operator than the enviro kind, but that’s where my agreement with Travis ends.

Sure, the usual suspects will whinge about the change to frontline staff who can’t do anything about it, you might take a minute longer to bag a full trolley, and you might need to be a bit more alert when running self serve, but take a moment to think about the greater good here.

Having done a number of years as a service manager, including during the changeover, the bag ban is the least of your average service staff member’s problems on a daily basis.

6 Likes

Holy shit that entitlement…
It’s part of your job, suck it up (coming from someone who worked years in retail).

4 Likes

Sounds like a position at a brothel. :rofl: Maybe Coles and Woolies should offer that. :wink::rofl:

I’m sure you if you looked hard enough you could still find a servo (most likely independently owned) that offers full service.

Im not sure what these guys are paid in Singapore but the countries that still have an attendent for this purpose tend to have a very low minimum wage. I think we have had self service as the norm in Australia for too long for it to be a worthwhile point of difference (especially since fuel is so focused on price and/or upsell of items at the counter).

3 Likes

I still can’t believe it’s taken the other States this long to ban Plastic bags, here in SA they have been banned since 2009, sure it took a little while for checkout operators & customers to fully get use to it, but from memory the translation went fairly smoothly.

I’ve been progressively getting any freebie bags from expos for exactly this reason. :+1:

And you will find most petrol attendants in Singapore are elderly, just like the cleaners over there working places like McDonalds, Burger King, Long John Silvers etc, all working hard on the bare minimum wage, a lot of them work well into their 80’s.

Nick Scali Furniture has said it would be interested in buying Steinhoff’s Australian operations including Freedom, Fantastic, Plush, OMF, Harris Scarfe, Best & Less and Snooze, if the troubled company’s Asia-Pacific operations are put up for sale.

Not sure if Harris Scarfe and Best & Less suit Nick Scali because it has no experience in running a clothing or kitchenware business.

They’ve got to start somewhere if they want world domination. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nick Scali should be the one in trouble. Beats me how they stay in business.

Esprit will close all its stores in Australia and New Zealand, costing hundreds of jobs. The Australian stores will all close by the end of this year.

Not surprised, a brand that never gained much traction after the 90s.

Why? They’re huge and expanding with more and more showrooms opening across Australia.

Someone needs to tell Nick Scali that people like to shop online.

For furniture? Surely most people prefer to examine furniture items and try things like lounges out before parting with money.

2 Likes

True, though people might go in store to look at the item in the flesh and then try and find a cheaper price online and buy it there.

True but why can’t online still be an option?

You can’t buy Nick Scali stuff anywhere else.

1 Like

A bit hard to return a lounge suite if you don’t like the actual colour or it’s uncomfortable.

I’ve recently made this purchase and while I did my research online, the decision changed after seeing and testing out the pieces in the showroom.

1 Like