Supermarkets and Retail

Hmmmmm…interesting marketing tactic. You’d have a 1 in 30 chance of getting a cash refund on all purchases if the day you purchased the items was drawn at the end of the month. I wonder how that stacked up financially.

1 Like

I’d reckon July would be the quietest month retail and there’d be some decent t&c’s apply. Wonder how random the draw would be, it’s not a raffle, so could be a little fixed!

I ordered an item from Kogan late Wednesday night and the invoice they emailed me has that it is being supplied by Kogan Hong Kong and sent from Hong Kong. I got an email today that said the order had been processed and Kogan gave me an Australia Post tracking number, so I clicked on the link and the tracking status was that the item was already at the Chullora depot, and tonight the tracking status is that it will be delivered on Monday. I find it difficult to believe that Kogan picked the order in Hong Kong this morning and had it in suburban Sydney this afternoon. Obviously the item was in stock at the Kogan warehouse in Sydney and shipped today. Is it some kind of money shuffle that they are pretending it is coming from Hong Kong?

5 Likes

If it’s a higher value item, they might have sent it via air from HK to the local Kogan distribution centre. What I think they might have done is processed everything in Hong Kong on the Thursday, sent it out on the Thursday overnight plane into Sydney and then processed it in Sydney on the Friday. I’d imagine places like Kogan with high enough volumes to fill air shipping containers would be able to do this.

Places which regularly sell higher value items like the HK based camera retailers DWI or Digital Rev actually ship items via express couriers like DHL or FedEx and it STILL turns out to be a lot cheaper than local retailers.

1 Like

There’s nothing dodgy about an international retailer having a local distribution centre or warehouse, it’s just standard practice if you have the volume to support it.

Though you have to question how long Kogan will persist with these GST-avoidance schemes once the loopholes are closed in July this year.

1 Like

If all Kogan orders were fulfilled directly from overseas, then they wouldn’t need a local distribution centre?

They are fulfilled from overseas, just the first step in the fulfilment process has been completed prior to sale.

Please don’t let the Oconic Australian Department Brand Myer Merge with David Jones, If you kill of a Brand, There’s No Going Back from this.

I still miss Grace Bros.

Myer Sydney City is still great and is always busy, unlike some of the suburban stores.

2 Likes

What if the alternative was closure affecting thousands of employees and suppliers?

Not to mention all the smaller department stores Myer has either taken over or put out of business over the years.

The item I bought from Kogan was shipped from a contract logistics warehouse in Matraville. Kogan also use another contract e-commerce company eStore Logistics, in which Ruslan Kogan has a minority stake, who have warehouses in Sydney and Melbourne.

1 Like

Myer has appointed former UK department store House of Fraser CEO, John King as its new CEO.

Noticed today that Coles have started to update the font on their SELs.
New style:

Old Style: image

7 Likes

Wise move. My elderly mum always complains she can’t see the prices when shopping.

1 Like

Much better. Surprised they didn’t do it sooner to be honest.
I wonder how long it’ll take an average store to completely rid itself of shelf tickets with the old font.

As an odd crossover for discussions - one of the things I saw those new price tags on while shopping at Coles yesterday was the Bega branded ‘Deluxe’ Mac and Cheese - but even the newly updated ticket still read “Kraft” even though the new Kraft branded Mac was a few items away on the same shelf.

It looked like there were whole categories done and then some others only had a few. At my work (not Coles) we have changed the software used for ticketing and the layout and font differs. It is surprising how much of it has changed in a short period of time. They get changed over through planogram updates, price or status changes, or just replacing missing SELs.

I’ve just come across this. It’s a former Coles Supermarket site in Regional Victoria, which closed in October 2008. Apparently due to it being out of town and Coles decided to turn the Bi-Lo in town to a Coles.

Some interesting photos of the old store and layout

4 Likes

Stonnington Council in inner Melbourne has approved the redevelopment of Jam Factory into a business, retail and entertainment complex.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inner-east/chapel-st-jam-factory-500-million-redevelopment-of-retail-hub-to-start-this-year/news-story/0d23c7421c45371a351b3310d5fdb5de

2 Likes

Isn’t that what it already was?

1 Like