Supermarkets and Retail

Yep, would cost too much to implement the FSC everywhere as it’s too good and if they ever got rid of it here, they’d be handing the market to Coles.

Coles did a few years ago but the quality was cheap and nasty. Woolies did it with a Jamie Oliver range a couple of years ago which was good quality.

1 Like

Those bloody Jamie Oliver stickers. Working at Woolworths Online (of course every 2nd order was a humongous one), we had to count out huge numbers of stickers by hand, and that was annoying.

The stickers were just flying around the place unsupervised and no one cared if they were dropped on the floor or if you added a few extra to an order - I could have stolen boxes of them if I wanted that cheap tableware (which I didn’t).

1 Like

Ahhh street directories.

I’m amazed you can actually still buy them.

I thought they would have gone the way of encyclopaedias by now.

I’m quite sure they stopped producing them a few years ago.

I still have a hard cover 1990 edition Sydney-Newcastle-Wollongong-Canberra Gregorys street directory in my car that I still use from time to time.

1 Like

They’re still around

https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/sydney-blue-mountains-street-directory-2018-54th-by-ubd-gregorys-9780731931118/#.WsyB_Vp_WhA

1 Like

you can still buy Melways. They still produce Sydways and Brisways but do people ever buy them?

1 Like

They must do if they are still making them :grinning:

they must but I didn’t imagine they’d be all that popular

1 Like

Sydways was never big here. Gregory’s and UBD were huge. Maybe Sydways found a market after those went out of business.

Gregory’s are still in print, as per above link.

I’ve got a melway in the car. Still prefer to look where I’m going and work out a route using that than GPS, although that is handy for traffic and ETA.

I suppose I’m a bit of a cartophile. I’d spend hours looking at the Melway when I was a kid, they are so detailed.

If anyone’s interested here’s a link to their first few editions.
http://melwayed1.melway.com.au/mwyedn1.htm

4 Likes

I still have a 1995 Melway directory at home.
Gregory’s Sydney directory is good but doesn’t show which highway or main road has divided carriageways, but Sydways does. If Sydways stops publishing it is very sad.
However there are two things I don’t like about Melway.

1. its map numbers are all over the place due to ever expanding population, especially in outer suburbs in Melbourne’s north and west. Sooner or later it will have to reorganise the map numbers in a systematic way.
  2. it stubbornly refuses to cover parts of Melbourne since the 1st edition in 1966, e.g. Elwood marina (top left of map 67), Hovell Park north east of Corio, and the area between Lara and Werribee except Little River.
1 Like

I was the same as a kid re maps too!

2 Likes

The last edition of Sydway was published in 2015 (for 2016), whilst the last edition of Brisway was published in 2016 (for 2017). Melway also produced a Perth Street Directory until 2012, which used Landgate WA data, and succeeded the old StreetSmart Street Directory in the late 2000s over there.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that the Melway company is still going strong. I think most of their revenue will be coming from third parties requesting custom mapping.

Who out there remembers shopping at BI-LO?, it was one of the cheapest Supermarkets going around, great value & service, but there was somethings I never used to buy at BI-LO like the Fruit & Veg, the white lunch rolls from the bakery, they were hard as rocks, the BI-LO brand tissue paper box, it was like blowing your nose with sandpaper & the toilet paper was just as bad. The Coles plan to covert BI-LO to Coles Supermarkets as well as getting rid of the Kmart name back in 2006 had to be one of the most dumbest retail ideas, it failed big time.

3 Likes

I remember my mum shopping at Franklins all the time. From what I remember the No Frills food was abominable. I’ve found that generic brand ice cream is never any good, especially the 2L/4L tub stuff. Even at Aldi where the generics are usually quite good, the ice cream is bad. Those 85c loaves of bread at all the supermarkets also don’t hold a candle to Wonder White - it’s almost as if the bread has been pre-staled.

Do the major chains still sell that recycled Safe brand toilet paper? That stuff was just awful, even worse than the greaseproof 1 ply sandpaper you usually get in a generic brand - this stuff has even more grit in it to rub your arse raw.

Yep, I remember them.

Here in Newcastle, we had Shoeys before that.
My Mum would do her grocery shopping there religiously, and the Bi Lo too.

1 Like