Supermarkets and Retail

What? We still have Kmart??

But near me there is a Bi Lo that converted to a Coles even though there is a “proper” Coles just around the corner. I prefer to go to the “Bi Lo Coles” though because it’s always less busy and can get in and out quick

They planned to ditch the Kmart name and bring most of their brands under the Coles name.

https://www.theage.com.au/news/business/coles-drops-kmart-bilo/2006/07/31/1154198073979.html

3 Likes

Thank god that plan didn’t go ahead.

2 Likes

Vale: Bi-Lo :sleepy:

3 Likes

Emergency Dispatchers still use them.

Waze is good tho :upside_down_face:

This is the ‘good’ stuff.

2 Likes

No real excuse to buy that stuff anymore now you can get 24 3 ply regular sized rolls for as little as $8.

On that topic, why is toilet paper so much cheaper than it used to be? I remember even the 9 packs of the regular stuff at like, $5 or $6 was considered a good price back in the day.

1 Like

Those paper rolls remind me of classic holiday house material.

That was when Kmart wasn’t doing very well & Target was, these days the roles have reversed.

1 Like

Kmart is great cheap discount department store especially for those people on a tight budget, in recent years I’ve noticed most small appliances like Toasters, Micowaves, Oil heaters, Irons etc, only the homemaker brand is available, at least with BIG W you get a choice of a few brand names like Sunbeam & Kambrook, that’s the only problem I have with Kmart, there’s not enough variety in terms of brand names compared to BIG W.

1 Like

cheap but good value:) and great productsD and homemaker is a good brand:D i recently got a vaccum from kmart better then any others i had over the yearss

The rolls are much smaller now than they used to be. Per sheet it’s still cheaper but it’s not as dramatic as your comparison would suggest.

Essentially, a roll of toilet paper these days has a lot less material in it than they used to. It seems to ring true to me. Kleenex Cottonelle is obviously puffed up in someway to allow for air between the fibres to make a soft feeling toilet paper. I think the bit about the cardboard tube being bigger to allow them to skimp on the paperis true, too. I remember when toilet paper rolls were an extremely tight fit when i put my two fingers inside them, but now they’re very loose and floppy.

The recycled toilet paper Safe is actually quite good IMO.

We sell Melways at my work and we get asked for them all the time. It does seem to be the older clientele though.

There’s definitely less sheets per roll (I believe 180 per roll is the standard when it used to be 220 or 230) and I’m guessing the rest of the efficiencies described explain everything else.

Interesting article.

So there’s no longer a square to spare?

1 Like

No, I don’t have a square to spare. I can’t spare a square.

1 Like

Aw s***.

1 Like